walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scotland's Watershed Part 6 Parlan Hill to Crianlarich

Scotland's Watershed Part 6 Parlan Hill to Crianlarich

Postby rohan » Thu May 24, 2018 1:27 pm

Route description:

Date walked: 26/10/2017

Time taken: 48 days

Distance: 14.4 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

See also my reports on Scotland's Watershed Parts 1-5 (In Long Distance Routes Forum)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Watershed Route

Coming to write my next report on my Watershed journey I discovered that I had totally missed writing up the section from Parlan Hill to Crianlarich. Whoops. So here it is in summary

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My route to, on and from The Watershed

25/10/2017 I grabbed the opportunity of window of good weather , due to arrive on 26/10 and zoomed back to Benglas. I camped below the bealach the first night then in poor weather the next day stopped and camped at about 700m on the slopes of An Caisteal after poor views on Beinn Chabhair.
IMG_20171026_095132669 Watershed to North Sea copy.jpg
View over the Watershed towards the North Sea between Parlan Hill and Beinn Chabhair

IMG_20171026_095140007 Watershed  to the Atlantic copy.jpg
View over the Watershed towards the Atlantic between Parlan Hill and Beinn Chabhair

IMG_20171026_111916398 Ben Lomond copy.jpg
Ben Lomond

IMG_20171026_123001529 Summit Beinn Chabhair copy.jpg
Summit cairn Beinn Chabhair

IMG_20171026_124228307 An CAisteal and Beinn a Chroin copy.jpg
An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

The skies cleared overnight and the morning was clear and sunny but with wisps of clouds threading through the summits. Unfortunately, the weather window was more of a letterbox flap and after a brief period of sunshine, it shut with a blast of wind and rain. However, I did have an amazing early morning on the top of An Casteil.

IMG_20171027_072355041 copy.jpg
Early morning promise

IMG_20171027_090730430 Beinn Chabhair copy.jpg
Beinn Chabhair

IMG_20171027_090756301 boiling clouds copy.jpg
Clouds clearing the ridge on An Caisteal

IMG_20171027_092705487 SUmmit A C copy.jpg
Summit An Caisteal

IMG_20171027_092827003 summit An caisteal.jpg
Summit An Caisteal

IMG_20171027_114439339 Bheinmn Chabhair copy.jpg
Bheinn Chabhair

IMG_20171027_120643886 Summit Beinn a Chroin copy.jpg
Summit Beinn a'Chroin

On Beinn A Chroin I started being severly buffeted and a fellow walker advised that the forecast was for it to worsen. I knew that I would struggle to get over Cruach Ardrain so I walked down by the River Falloch. I was fortunate to get a lift from a couple of fellow walkers, down to The Drovers where I could catch the bus back to Glasgow.
27/12/2017 in absolutely stunning, winter conditions I returned to do the final section from Beinn a' Chroin over Cruach Ardrain to Crianlarich. Cruach Ardrain has 3 major rivers rising on it, The Forth (which I also bid good bye to here, it having been my campanion since Craigengar back in the Pentlands,) whilst I say hello to the River Tay. The Clyde is still with me until Ben Lui.

My route to, on and from The Watershed

I was able to take my DSLR on the day trip to Cruach Ardrain but in the low temperatures, I failed to notice that my lens fogged up each time I took my camera out and I have very few non-blurry photos from that beautiful day. The snow was deep in places which made for fairly slow progress but it was a clear. crisp winter's day. There were spectacular icicles on Stob Glas, occasionally crashing down as the sun melted their attachement. Rather than walk down the road back to my van in fading light, I left the final short forest section til the morning , walking in and out from Crianlarich.

My route to ,on and from The Watershed

IMG_4218 copy.jpg
Dubhcraig and Oss.

IMG_4222 Stob Glas Bheag and Stob Glas copy.jpg
Srob Glas Bheag and Stob Glas

IMG_4226 Stob Glas Beag copy.jpg
Stob Glas Beag

IMG_4228 View of the summit ridge copy.jpg
Sunmit ridge

IMG_4239 Moon over An Caisteal copy.jpg
Moon over An Caisteal

IMG_4244 An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin copy.jpg
An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin

IMG_4245 across to Oss, Dubchraig and Lui copy.jpg
Looking towards Dubhcraig, Oss and Lui

Untitled_Panorama1 copy.jpg
An Caisteal (R) and Beinn a Chroin (L)

I love a good winter with lots of snow but being fickle, not when I am trying to walk the Watershed and the sheer amount of snow and frequent high risks of avalanches neant I was unable to do the walk from Crianlarich over Dubhcraig, Oss and Lui to Tyndrum until April
Days on Watershed - 2.5
Distance on Watershed 14.4km (9 miles)
Total Watershed distance from Peel Fell 391km (254m) which represents 1/3rd of the route
rohan

Re: Scotland's Watershed Part 6 Parlan Hill to Crianlarich

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Now we're into the hills!

Real pity about the condensation on your lens, for it looks like the weather for the 2nd part was just superb.

I love these rough and gruff hills - walked them in August 2014. I recall that there were some pretty steep and rocky ascents and descents though, which I imagine could be quite challenging in winter conditions.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes