walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cateran Trail -- with no lodging in Glenisla

Cateran Trail -- with no lodging in Glenisla

Postby Santa Cruz Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Date walked: 21/05/2018

Time taken: 3 days

Distance: 75 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For our second hiking (er, I mean hillwalking) trip in Scotland, having walked 3 stages of the West Highland Way (too crowded!) and all of the Cowal Way last year, we walked the first 3 of the 5 stages of the Cateran Trail.

The Cateran Trail was beautiful, easy to navigate and delightfully devoid of crowds. We live in the Santa Cruz Mountains, south of San Francisco, on the Monterey Bay, which is stunning as well, but far more populated. We’ve got at least two more walking trips planned for Scotland in part because it is easy to find yourself utterly alone.

We had initially intended to walk all 5 stages, but when the Glenisla Hotel suddenly closed (a few days after insisting we call them to put down a 50% deposit), we retooled the trip to spend more time in Orkney—which ended up being absolutely stunning for walking.

While waiting for our taxi driver/bag transfer vehicle in Glenisla at the end of the third day, we found out someone has purchased and is renovating the Glenisla Hotel, which is great because that will restore the ability to do the entire 104km of the Cateran Trail without workarounds.

As for the Cateran Trail, the 3 days we walked were excellent, with the best segment being Kirkmichael to Glenshee, followed closely by the next day’s walk, from Glenshee to Glenisla. Lovely scenery, well marked, but longer than posted. My GPS indicated that we walked 19.5 miles from Glenshee to Glenisla, but that is probably due to the fact that we lodged at the Dalmunie Castle (highly recommend!), which adds a few miles each way.

We hired James Donald to for 3 bag transfers and then a taxi to Aberdeen. I cannot recommend him highly enough. As with everywhere else we have been in Scotland, the locals were fantastic, friendly and helpful. Excellent food as well.
IMG_9545.JPG

IMG_9505.JPG

IMG_9484.JPG

IMG_7563.jpg

IMG_7456.jpg
Santa Cruz Jeff
Mountaineer

Re: Cateran Trail -- with no lodging in Glenisla

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:47 pm

If it's a quiet long distance walk you are after I can recommend the Glyndwr Way in Wales.

135 miles, one dog walker and 2 farmers - doesn't get much quieter than that and great scenery as well.

Glad you enjoyed the Cateran, it was the first one I did so your photos brought back good memories.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes