walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Borders Abbey Way & St Cuthbert's Way

Borders Abbey Way & St Cuthbert's Way

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:45 pm

Route description: St Cuthbert's Way

Date walked: 16/06/2018

Time taken: 8 days

Distance: 233 km

Ascent: 5162m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 1

Melrose - Kelso

Miles 19.6
Ascent Feet 1473
Moving Average 3.2mph
Overall Average 2.9mph

Day 2

Kelso - Denholm

Miles 21.7
Ascent Feet 2303
Moving Average 3.0mph
Overall Average 2.8mph

Day 3

Denholm - Selkirk

Miles 19.3
Ascent Feet 2438
Moving Average 3.1mph
Overall Average 2.8mph

Day 4

Selkirk - Melrose

Miles 11.9
Ascent Feet 1386
Moving Average 2.9mph
Overall Average 2.6mph

Day 5

Melrose - Jedburgh

Miles 20.5
Ascent Feet 2318
Moving Average 3.0mph
Overall Average 2.8mph

Day 6

Jedburgh - Kirk Yetholm

Miles 18.2
Ascent Feet 2799
Moving Average 3.0mph
Overall Average 2.7mph

Day 7

Kirk Yetholm - Wooler

Miles 14.4
Ascent Feet 2419
Moving Average 2.8mph
Overall Average 2.5mph

Day 8

Wooler - Holy Island

Miles 19.1
Ascent Feet 1798
Moving Average 2.9mph
Overall Average 2.6mph

Summary

First 5 days were OK but probably won't live long in the memory. Last 3 days (in the hills) were brilliant and will definitely stay with me.

The end to the walk was by far my favourite (of the long distance walks I've done so far). I was too early to start off on the sands but having walked along the causeway for a bit I took the decision that it was OK so took the socks and boots off. Wonderful walking on bare feet following the high posts in the sand, that is until I got to within about 200m of the island shore when suddenly the water got deeper than anticipated. I took a route about twenty yards to the right of the guide posts as this seemed the shallowest but the water was still touching my shorts and it was slow going. Was a bit relieved when the level of the water dropped and I knew I was OK - should have waited the extra 40 minutes and I assume this area would have drained most of the water away.

Anyway, 5/10 for the Borders Abbey Way and 8/10 for St Cuthbert's Way which just reflects the fact that I am happier in the hills (getting bitten by clegs) than I am walking along river banks.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes