walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moray Coast Path; - Just keep the Sea on the Left. Day one

Moray Coast Path; - Just keep the Sea on the Left. Day one

Postby bargee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Route description: Moray Coastal Trail

Date walked: 26/08/2017

Time taken: 1 day

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 100m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following on from completing the Southern Upland Way, Cath said she wanted a coastal walk that she could walk with me rather than just supporting and she decided on the 50 mile jaunt along the coast of Moray from Forres to Cullen which we walked over 4 days at the end of August

First though we had to get to Forres from our west Yorkshire home in Huddersfield;
This involved a 4 train journey via York, Edinburgh, Inverness along the Highland Main line and finally to Forres,

At York we saw 3 generations of East coast racehorses with a Class 91 (IC225); Class 55 Deltic and the A3 Pacific Flying scotsman.

A change of trains in Edinburgh and across the Forth rail bridge and along the Fife coast then through Perth and over the Highland Main line to Aviemore and Inverness and onto the forth train along the coast to Forres.
Indulge me in some pics of our Journey North......
ImageThe Leaving of Huddersfield ( doesnt quite have the same ring to it as Liverpoool :roll:
Imageour Virgin steed North at York
ImagePassing in the Museum railway Yard first Deltic 55009 Alcydion( named after a racehorse that won the Ascot Gold Cup in 1949)
Imageand the 94 year old A3 pacific Flying Scotsman originally built in 1923, simmering away
ImageTime to grab a coffee in Waverley before boarding the Inverness train
ImageTo Inverness and our 4th train along the coast to Forress, Cath telling me to hurry up and get aboard and stop taking photos of trains!!
ImageTo arrive at Forres. This station has now closed and has been replaced with a newly built one on the otherside of a new bypass

A short walk through the town to our B and B for the night
Forres Is a lovely town and the park has superb floral displays

ImagePast the Witches stone ( /whispers/ They knew how to treat their women in North east scotland :shock: )

Day One - Forres to Burghead

An excellent night in a B and B and after a Scottish breakfast we set off on the 13 miles to Burghead

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

First was the amazing stone Sueno' stone, a 6.5m high Pictish stone. encased in glass.
ImageImageSueno's StoneImageCath and Bargee at the stone ready to head eastwards along the coast

After viewing the stone it was across the Forres Bypass and along minor road to Kinloss then along the River Findhorn estuary around the edge of the old RAF Kinloss base to Findhorn, 5 1/2 miles of tarmac walking.

ImageAcross the bypass

Imageand across the Inverness to Aberdeen railway
ImageThrough fields of corn following minor roadsImageTo meet the edge of the marshes around the findhorn estuary
Imagethen more straight roads towards....
ImageMarshes and Estuary and Findhorn in the distance
Image... to Kinloss, Now I knew Kinloss as the base for the Rescue helicpoters, Thankfully never had to call on them but used to love watching the huge Sea kings flying over the fells, Now retired of course
Imagewe turned left at Kinloss and passed the Abbey inn too early for lunch
ImagePassed the Church
Imageand Parked on the tarmac was a Nimrod
Imagearriving into Findhorn
ImageLooking back over the estuary to Forres
ImageCath using the Binoculars to scout the way ahead
ImageWe stopped in the Findhorn Yacht club cafe for an excellent lunch, Linguinie aux Fruits de mer for me Yum Yum Yum

Whilst we were eating a squall came through and it rained heavily good thing we stopped for lunch, from there it was across to the beach and our first view of the walk of the North Sea.

Then through a strange landscape of shingle and sand

ImageThats our destination for the day Burghead at the end of the bay around 7 miles away
ImageLooking back along the coast and I think the gap in the hills is the Cromaty Firth
ImageShingle and sand desert
ImageCath waiting for me to catch up after detouring to find a geocache
ImageThe trail rejoins the beach at the boundary fence of the Air base the sea was so Blue
ImageNot too long until the fence needs moving back from the eroding beach

ImageInto the trees and the long sweep of the bay leading to burghead

The next few miles is a pleasant walk through the forest though we had a few rain showers

To emerge from the trees at Burghead

The end of a long first day for us, seemed longer than 13 miles but I was getting used to carrying all our clothes etc on my back with Cath carrying the day sack, but we managed to avoid the worst of the rain and really enjoyed the coast walk.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: Moray Coast Path; - Just keep the Sea on the Left. Day o

Postby prog99 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:39 pm

The moray coast is very nice. I was born and grew up in Forres so know the area well.
Just one minor correction , the Sea Kings flew out of Lossie not Kinloss. The nimrod is not airworthy, government scrapped them a few years ago.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes