walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moray coast - Bow n fiddle and cullen but no skink - Day 4

Moray coast - Bow n fiddle and cullen but no skink - Day 4

Postby bargee » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Route description: Moray Coastal Trail

Date walked: 29/08/2017

Time taken: 1 day

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 120m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

last day of the 48 miles of the Moray coast trail, from Buckie via the villages of Findochty and Portknockie and the ubiquitous golf course, to view the impressive Bow fiddle rock and watch Gannets dive from the Cullen beach. only 7 and half miles.

After an excellent night and a good breakfast at the Rosemount hotel in Buckie we headed out for our last day the aim was Cullen and then a bus to Elgin to stay the night before catching the train(s) back to Yorkshire.

Dropped down to the harbour and wound through the industrial area and the terraced houses squeezed between the cliffs and the shore. following the coast road out of Buckie either on the pavement or on a path through grass along the shore to reach an old hotel where the path heads out round rocks and cliffs following the edge of fields and a gold course before descending steeply to enter the fishing village of Findochty which has a lovely harbour.

Just as i started to take this photo a Dolphin leaped about 300yds out, i couldnt beloive id seen it, we'd seen seals watching us as we walked along yesterday but that was the first and only dolphin i'd seen

Imagelooking back at Buckie

Imagewell mown grass as we leave the road and head round the cliffs

Imageprobably the most difficult part of the path all week crossing these rocks

Imageskirting the links

ImageDescend the steps to take the lower path into Findochty

Image Findochty comes into view

Imagebut first we had to cross this chasm across a tidal inlet cutting into the cliff
Imagebefore reaching the lovely harbour
Image and round the other side of findochoty village was another inlet/ harbour that used to be a boatbuilders now landscaped
Imagethe mean back streets of Findochty
Imageout of Findochty the path climbs the cliff
Imagewhich gives some excellent views of the fishing boats heading out into the North sea
ImagePortknockie comes into view

Imageentering Portknockie
ImagePortknockie harbour

Imageeven has a Lido
Imagethe Bow fiddle rock, impressive
Imagethe next headland is Aberdeenshire, can we just keep walking
ImageCullen and the end of the path comes into the view

onto the final beach
We made it,

In conclusion
48 miles in 4 days,
a great path even the first 5 miles on roads to reach the coast at Findhorn as Forres is a great town to start.
the beaches either side of Lossiemouth are the highlight, great to walk miles along sand and know that you dont have to turn around and walk back
we saw a dolphin, lots of seals and the great view of gannets and terns diving into the sea.

its a great trail and an easy walk over 4 days. the B and Bs that we booked were excellent and the breakfasts well needed.
enjoyed it and were disappointed that it ended

come and walk it.

Iain and Cath
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: Moray coast - Bow n fiddle and cullen but no skink - Day

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 am

Cheers for this Iain - really enjoyed it.

I've never walked this route but I'm very familiar with the area. Hopefully I can find time next year.

What's next??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby bargee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 am

Ive got some reports to write up for the lakes and a 50 mile in 24hours personal challenge along the cuckoo way in derbyshire.

but the next big thing is Im off to Tanzania to climb killimanjaro in october to raise awareness for Andys man club who campaign and run help grops to reduce male suicide.
new group just started in Oban this week.
bargee
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:48 am

Good luck with Killimanjaro.

I'll be interested to read about the 50 miles in 24 hrs on the Cuckoo Way as my intention is actually to do the Moray Coast Trail in a day next summer.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby prog99 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Interesting, I'm sure it continues past Cullen as we use a very good path to access the rock climbing at Logiehead to the east which is very popular with walkers. You get to go past the slightly creepy pet cemetery as well.

Did you notice the rock changing quite abruptly from sandstone to greywacke?

Think you may find the Berwickshire coastal path quite enjoyable, I've done bits of it and some climbing too nearby. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/borders/berwickshire-coastal-path.shtml
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby bargee » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 am

prog99 wrote:Interesting, I'm sure it continues past Cullen as we use a very good path to access the rock climbing at Logiehead to the east which is very popular with walkers. You get to go past the slightly creepy pet cemetery as well.

Did you notice the rock changing quite abruptly from sandstone to greywacke?

Think you may find the Berwickshire coastal path quite enjoyable, I've done bits of it and some climbing too nearby. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/borders/berwickshire-coastal-path.shtml

thanks prog99,
didnt notice the abrupt change between rocks as we walked, but as you mention it defientley different on the last day east of the spey estuary.

Thanks for the recomendation of the berwickshire coastal path, .
Iain the bargee
bargee
Mountaineer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes