walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Video Series: Entire WHW Day by Day

Video Series: Entire WHW Day by Day

Postby Hounds of Howgate » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:04 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 05/04/2018

Time taken: 8 days

Distance: 150 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone!

My dog, Moss, and I have taken to backpacking long distance routes in Scotland and we would love to share our journeys with you!

This West Highland Way video series takes you along the way day by day as I walked it. I try and give useful information such as mention of campsite prices and all spots I see for wild camping as I go along the way (with mile markers mentioned when I can) etc.

It was my first time making anything like this so I was a little unsure of how it was going to go: was it going to be highlights, a turn-by-turn guide, a review or a vlog? I didn't know so just started filming and went with it until I found my feet. I the end I think it has ended up a little of everything!

I love watching videos and reading accounts of other peoples journeys, advice, thoughts, experiences, equipment reviews and tips & tricks. I though it was high time to try my hand at giving back and hopefully contribute in a similar manner to the great walking community we have.

Since this West Highland Way walk in April 2018 I have traveled to the Isle of Skye and made a video series (similar but hopefully better!) that I have in the sections as they appear on Walkhighlands. I thought this would be way easier to follow along with and more useful (plus as I had downloaded and used the .gpx GPS files from Walkhightlands it just seemed to make more sense). You can find that journey and video series on here on the 'Skye Trail' page too of course.

Anyway let's get to it:

Day 1: Milngavie to Easter Drumquhassle Farm Campsite

On Day 1 we start our trek from Milngavie and travel along the West Highland Way to where we pitch up at the campsite at Easter Drumquhassle Farm. All went well and I was glad to get started but it had been quite a rush to travel to the start and I must admit that the rucksack was feeling heavy only 1 mile in!

Day 2: Easter Drumquhassle Farm Campsite to Cashel Campsite

Today we walked from Easter Drumquhassle Farm to Cashel Campsite where we camp for the night. Lambing restrictions unfortunately forced us to detour around Conic Hill and take the low route (same number of miles). I have taken a video of the sign too so for all those of you who want to know the exact details and dates about that you will see it there. Still going strong at this stage and amazingly this was the only day I got rained on properly!

Day 3: Cashel Campsite to my friends cottage near Inversnaid

Today we hike from Cashel Campsite alongside Loch Lomond to Inversnaid. On the way I point out some suitable wild camping spots for those of you wild campers and some bothys. This is start of the section where people start to struggle usually: blisters, twisted limbs and or aces and pains can take their toll. I stopped off at my friends cottage at the side of the way and had some drinks. Still feeling good and blister free!

Day 4: Inversnaid to Beinglas Farm Campsite

Day 4 on the trail takes us from Inversnaid to Beinglas Farm where we camp for the night. Along Loch Lomond, on the way, we see wild camping spots and another bothy amongst other things like the difficult terrain of the route on this section and wild goats. Some lads have been boozing in the bothy all weekend so I talk a bit about my thoughts on that too.

Day 5: Beinglas Farm Campsite to Tyndrum

Today on day 5 of the West Highland Way we pass the halfway point travelling from Beinglas Farm to Tyndrum where we stay at By-the-way Campsite. There is a steep descent down towards the road before crossing a road and my knee was starting to play up at this point and I was feeling dreaded hotspots on my feet!

Day 6: Tyndrum to Inveroran Hotel

After reaching day 6 on the WHW, travelling from Tyndrum to Inveroran Hotel, I decide it is time for a treat: in the shape of Guinness. Unfortunately this results in a desperate situation in the tent later on at the camping spot next to Inveroran hotel!

Day 7: Inveroran Hotel to Kinlochleven

Leaving Inveroran Hotel we push on across Rannoch Moor to Glencoe Mountain Resort. Arriving there early we decide to press on to the Kingshouse Hotel as it was just too early and it didn't really feel that welcoming as they don't allow dogs in the restaurant. Leaving Glencoe Mountain Resort we find the Kingshouse Hotel in ruins and decide to press on. 19.5 miles later and up the Devil's staircase we finally make it to Kinlochleven knackered! Not the best idea today considering the hangover! We stayed at the fist place we came across.

Day 8: Kinlochleven to Fort William

Our last day on the West Highland Way! Today we travel from Kinlochleven to Fort William and camp at Glen Nevis Campsite. Refreshments are had before heading into Fort William to the original end and then onto the official end of the West Highland Way the following morning. Here you can see the state of my heels by this point! My knee also locked up by the time I got into the campsite and stopped moving...soon freed that guy up with some cider though :crazy:

And that was us! We had finished the West Highland Way and it was off back to normal life and work etc. Very soon I had made plans for my next trip though: The Skye Trail.

I plan to make videos on the kit I carried, suitable footwear for the time of year, kit reviews etc. I'll either see if I can add it here once I have made them or leave the video as a comment or something. By all means drop us a message/comment if there is anything in particular that you would like to see or ask me.

Thanks for reading and watching!

All the best on your adventures,
John & Moss
Hounds of Howgate
Scrambler

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes