walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Video Series: Full Skye Trail Section by Section

Video Series: Full Skye Trail Section by Section

Postby Hounds of Howgate » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Route description: Skye Trail

Date walked: 02/06/2018

Time taken: 7 days

Distance: 128 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone!

My dog, Moss, and I have taken to backpacking long distance routes in Scotland and we would love to share our journeys with you! After walking the West Highland Way (video series of that on here too) we decided it was time to step up the challenge so we picked The Skye Trail!

This Skye Trail video series takes you along the trail stage by stage as listed/described on walkhighlands. I try and give useful information such as mention of campsite prices, bus times, bus numbers, bus times, notable water sources, good wild camping spots, show inside bothys, point out key way markers, highlight dodgy parts etc and have a map review of the route at the end of each stage/video. I show the route the route from a first person point of view plus have vlog style sections where I share my thoughts as I go too.

I love watching videos and reading accounts of other people’s journeys, advice, thoughts, experiences, equipment reviews and tips & tricks. I thought it was high time to try my hand at giving back and hopefully contribute in a similar manner to the great walking community we have:

So lets get to it!

Stage 1: Red Phonebox to Flodigarry

Day 1 on The Isle of Skye Trail. We get dropped off at the red phone box and make our way to the headland before heading over to the lookout bothy. We then progress along the coast passing the WW2 bunker before arriving at Flodigarry Hostel where we camped for the night.

Stage 2: Flodigarry to The Storr (Trotternish Ridge Day)

Leaving the Hostel we follow the Skye Trail up onto the Trotternish Ridge. The views over the island and ridge itself are spectacular. Eventually as the miles tick past priorities have to change and we camp on the ridge itself.

Stage 3: The Storr to Portree

Stage 3 carries on the Skye Trail from the car park at the Storr, along the coast, to Portree. Knackered after the ridge days!

Stage 4: Portree to Sligachan

Heading from Portree we follow mostly along a road that is very busy at times. Passing The Braes we finally arrive upon the waters edge again where we follow along a path that takes us to the campsite at Sligachan. Midge hotel.

Stage 5: Sligachan to Elgol

Leaving Sligachan campsite behind we head up a scenic path amidst mountains before cresting a rise and once again finding the ocean. Descending to a bothy we then rise up again onto the expose cliff walk to Elgol. Not the easiest walk with a large rucksack and dog!

Stage 6: Elgol to Torrin

Near disaster!
You never know what is going to happen on a thru-hike and we were in for a surprise during this stage that was almost a show stopper...and to happen at this late stage!

Stage 7: Torrin to Broadford

We wake up at our amazing wild campsite to head off down the coast along the cliffs to Suishnish before rising up from to coast to head inland towards Broadford and the end of the Skye Trail. What an amazing adventure! You can see where I left my car while walking the trail at the end too, which could be handy for you.

And that was us! We had finished The Skye Trail and it was off back to normal life and work etc. Very soon I had made plans for my next trip and it is to be a big one that I'll be undertaking in August, starting on my birthday: I'll make that into a video series and post it on here, so look out for that one too!

I plan to make videos on the kit I carried, suitable footwear for this type of route at any time of year, kit reviews etc. I'll either see if I can add it here once I have made them or leave the video as a comment or something. By all means drop us a message if there is anything in particular that you would like to see or ask me.

Thanks for reading and watching!

All the best on your adventures,
John & Moss
Hounds of Howgate
Scrambler

Re: Video Series: Full Skye Trail Section by Section

Postby neilist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Excellent stuff John, very entertaining and informative. Makes me want to head off and do this myself. Cheers.
neilist

Munros:135   Corbetts:16
Fionas:10   

Postby nick70 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Cheers for posting John

I am really enjoying your videos. I am really appreciating the approach you have to your film making, i.e. Very informative and detailed descriptive accounts of where you have came from, terrain covered, what is coming up.

Its very helpful for those that may consider doing this trail, which I hope to some time next year.

I have left a comment on your YouTube channel also. If I do get across to doing this next year I hope you wouldn't mind if I quiz you on a few details?

Thanks again and all the best for your future walks, and absolutely love Moss :D :D what a gorgeous looking companion.

ATB

Nick
nick70

Postby Santa Cruz Jeff » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:49 am

Fantastic, you're hilarious and the scenery is superb. I've watched a few, but fast forwarded to section 5. My partner, who I am doing the Skye Trail next year for my 60th birthday, is not excited about heights (he has a good reason, believe me). Having watched your video on the Sligachan to Elgol section, not sure he (we) feel much better about it. Oh but the views! I've read a few other posts about this section, but your video brought it home. I'm sure we'll do it (September 2019) but now know what to expect. And you're hilarious! Thanks!
Santa Cruz Jeff
Mountaineer

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes