walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scottish National Trail 2018

Scottish National Trail 2018

Postby china88 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Route description: Scottish National Trail

Date walked: 05/10/2018

Distance: 870 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I walked the above trail raising money for Children's Hospices Across Scotland

china88
Munro compleatist

Re: Scottish National Trail 2018

Postby Malkie » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:21 pm

A great video lovely scenery it brings back lots of memories of my own walk.
Malkie
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Postby china88 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 pm

The video above of the Scottish National Trail is my reflection on that journey undertaken to raise funds for Children’s Hospices Across Scotland and as a requiem for my father who was born in a village on the Trail and where my family still live. The Scottish National Trail is a journey as Robert Macfarlane describes ‘Mountains seem to answer an increasing imaginative need in the West. More and more people are discovering a desire for them, and a powerful solace in them. At bottom, mountains, like all wildernesses, challenge our complacent conviction - so easy to lapse into - that the world has been made for humans by humans. Most of us exist for most of the time in worlds which are humanly arranged, themed and controlled. One forgets that there are environments which do not respond to the flick of a switch or the twist of a dial, and which have their own rhythms and orders of existence’

Hardly a day passes where I don’t think about my journey on the Trail it affected me in lots of ways emotionally and physically. The photos below are added as an anecdote to one of the most magnificent walks I have ever undertaken. Try and spare 4-5 weeks out of your life to walk the trail it has me in its grip as I hope to make the journey again soon

Last edited by china88 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
china88
Munro compleatist

Postby regedmunds » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:59 pm

I walked and camped the route from Kirk Yetholm to Edinburgh in April this year, really enjoyed it.
regedmunds

Postby marcST » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 pm

Proficiat
Mooie video.
Ik loop hem vanaf 29-04-2020
gtj marc
marcST
Mountaineer

Postby IanHardwick » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Really enjoying the SN Trail, I've reached Blair Atholl, looking forward to the next sections to Kingussie, I see there are a few river/ burn crossings, how can I check water levels before I set out ? Many thanks.
IanHardwick
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:31 pm

IanHardwick wrote:Really enjoying the SN Trail, I've reached Blair Atholl, looking forward to the next sections to Kingussie, I see there are a few river/ burn crossings, how can I check water levels before I set out ? Many thanks.

You can get current river level data from SEPA here: https://www2.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/default.aspx?sm=t though bear in mind that some measurement sites are downstream of dams/reservoirs, and that the levels in smaller burn/rivers go up and down more quickly. The latter are largely determined by recent rainfall https://www2.sepa.org.uk//rainfall (except in Spring when snow melt can be a major factor).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby china88 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:14 am

Good luck on your walk on the Scottish National Trail especially in February. Please let us know how you get on. :clap: :clap:

Will be walking the SNT again later in the yea
china88
Munro compleatist

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes