walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Penine Way North to South

Penine Way North to South

Postby Malkie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Date walked: 24/11/2018

Time taken: 21 days

Distance: 429 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Schill.jpg
At start of Way.jpg
As my grandson in Manchester was twelve in Sept i thought i would surprise him and turn up on his birthday. So i decided to walk down the Penine Way.I caught the bus to Kelso across from where i live and then the bus to Kirk Yethom. When i got there i had my photo taken at the Border Hotel. Its a hard walk out of Kirk Yethom on the narrow road to Halterburnhead then up to Pipers Faulds Settlement.I took a wrong path here but it was lucky as i came to a stream so i was able to make my tea. I then went up to the right path it was a long climb up over The Schil at 601mtrs it was very windy and i had to fight to stay on the path and i finally made it to the Mountain Refuge Hut. There were two guys there one was inside and one camping as it was raining i was going to stay inside but when i went out the rain had stopped so i pitched my tent. the wind was so strong the walls of the tent were hitting me in the face. When the rain stopped i went out and secured the tent with a guy rope i had attached to the main pole and after that i got to sleep.
Malkie
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes