walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Penine Part 4

Penine Part 4

Postby Malkie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Date walked: 06/11/2018

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cairn.jpg
Highest Inn_resize.jpg
Day 13 I left Bowes and it was still very windy and also very heavy rain then it stopped and it was very sunny it was good walking over Sleightholme Moor to Tan Hill where i stayed the night.Day 14 It was a good morning when i set of and i enjoyed the walk over Stonesdale Moor to Thwaite it was getting late so i camped the night in a field.Day 14 It was a lovely morning when i set of and before long i was climbing up over Great Shunner Fell 716 mtrs at least it was a nice day and good views for a change and i got as far as Hardraw where i stayed in the hotel as it was raining but it was a mistake as the hotel was rubbish.Day15 It was a nice easy walk to Hawes though it was raining through Gayle and on past Gaudy Farm up over Rottenstone Hill and onto West Cam Road to Kidhow Gate and onto Cam High Road to Cam End and to Ling Gill Bridge along the river Horton-in-Ribblesdale where i stayed in the Crown Hotel. Day 16
Camping in field.jpg
It was dry when i left the hotel and i headed for Pen-y-ghent 694m i just got to the top and down came the rain i was soaked before i could get my coat on when i got to top behind a wall and the rain went of so i was able to get the stove out and cook my tea.i was just finished when it started to rain again and it made coming down the rocks very slippy so i was very slow going down once i was down i was alright but the rain was on for the rest of the day,It was a good walk along the track then onto a road when you turn of the road its a long climb over Great Hill and then over moors and fields past farms and it was teeming rain.I got to Malham Tarn and i knew that i wouldn't be camping in that rain.I knew that there was a bird hide at the Tarn so i looked for it and when i found it i was really pleased to get out of the rain although it had a tin roof and it was very noisy still i was dry.In the morning i walked to Watlowes and onto Malham Cove and then to Malham .
Malkie
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes