walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Penine Way Part 5

Penine Way Part 5

Postby Malkie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Date walked: 09/11/2018

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

moor.jpg
Malham Cove_resize.jpg
Malham Cove_resize.jpg
Day 18 I stayed in a B&B in Malham and i left in the morning to go to Thornton-in-Craven it started dry it was a lovely walk to Hanlith and on to Gargrave where i had lunch in the same cafe as last year it started to rain when i left the cafe it didn't last long and it was a good walk to the canal where i walked along the bank and through the double arched bridge and onto Thornton-in-Craven and it was heavy rain again so i went the Youth Hostel in Earby but there was nobody there and the door was open and the lights were on so i went in and sat in the hall out of the rain. As nobody came i went into the living room and slept on a settee.I left my rucksack in the hall to let them know i was there but no one came.So i left in the morning and i walked down the road i came to a bakers where you could sit in so i had my breakfast and a carry out,Day 19 I headed for the PW which was hard to find from Earby but i found it eventually and it was a long walk up to Pinhaw Hill.I had lunch behind a wall out of the wind and then carried down to Lothersdale and then over Cowling Hill to Cowling as it was raining i tried for a B&B but no luck but i got into a summer house at the camp site.Day 20 It was still raining when i left the site and very windy as i headed over Ickornshaw Moor to Ponden Res so i went to Haworth and i got into The Old Hall Inn B&B.Day 21 I got a taxi back to the PW in the morning and it was still very wet so the walk to Colden past the Walshaw Dean Res and Gorple Lower Res to Hebden Bridge where i camped at the cricket club ground.Day 22 I went to a cafe in Hebden and had my breakfast at least it was dry as i climbed up past Stoodley Pike along past Withens Gate then Warland Res to Blackstone Edge Res and past the White House Pub and then over the A58 Halifax road where i camped in a quarry.
Attachments
misty.jpg
Last edited by Malkie on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Malkie
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Penine Way Part 5

Postby bargee » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm

odd about the youth hostel being deserted, hope the settee was comfortable though.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes