walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Montgomery Canal Towpath Walk 1

Montgomery Canal Towpath Walk 1

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Date walked: 06/03/2019

Time taken: 4 days

Distance: 28.25 km

Ascent: 75m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Montgomery Canal Towpath Walk: 1 Frankton Junction to Crickheath Bridge

The Montgomery Canal Towpath Walk

The Montgomery Canal towpath extends from Frankton Junction (where it connects with the Llangollen Canal) all the way to Aberechan some 32.5 miles / 53 kms distant. Some of the towpath is made use of by other long distance paths, including the Offa's Dyke Path, the Shropshire Way Main Route and Wat's Dyke Way, and there are currently some significant on-going restoration works taking place upgrading the towpaths and increasing the amount of navigable stretches of the waterway. As I've progressed along the canal I've made a point of exploring some of the now disused side branches where access is still possible. The canal really does provide some really excellent walking and it is my intention to submit a short series of reports on the different sections of the canal as I complete them.

Section 1: Frankton Junction to Crickheath Bridge
This section is actually only 8.75 miles / 14.1 kms long, the distance and time given above relates to the total distance that I walked, including walking sections both ways, repeating sections, exploring side branches and visiting associated Heritage sites. With transport at either end, it's just a good day's walk (and not a long one!)

Frankton Junction to Queens Head
web 01 Mongomery Canal Frankton.jpg
Frankton Junction

web 02 Mongomery Canal Frankton Locks.jpg
Frankton Locks

01 Bridge 70 Rowson's Bridge [comp.].jpg
Rowson's Bridge, Frankton

03 The Weston Branch [comp.].jpg
The Weston Branch

05 Graham Palmer Lock [comp.].jpg
At the Graham Palmer Lock

205 Swing Bridge Rednall Basin comp.jpg
The Swing Bridge, Rednall Basin

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Frankton Junction to Queens Head: Length: 4.75 miles 7.65 km Ascent: +19m -22m Naismith: 1h 34m

Queens Head to Crickheath

321 Maesbury Marsh Wharf comp.jpg
Maesbury Marsh Wharf

323 Maesbury Marsh Wharf and Bridge 79comp.jpg
Maesbury Marsh Wharf and Bridge 79

409 Redwith Lift Bridge 82A comp.jpg
Redwith Lift Bridge

416 Works between 84 and 85 comp.jpg
End of current progress from this direction! The works around Bridge 85

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Queens Head to Crickheath: Length: 4.00 miles 6.44 km Ascent: +12m -21m Naismith: 1h 18m

Total: Frankton Junction to Crickheath Bridge: 8.75 miles 14.1 kms Ascent +31m -43m Naismith 2h 52m

I actually walked this section of the canal towpath as a series of "out and back" dog walks, over successive days (sometimes after a hill walk in the morning):

Frankton Junction to Perry Aqueduct, including the Weston Branch (each way) 02.03.2019;
Perry Aqueduct to Queens Head and Aston Lock, including the Rednal Basin (each way) 04.03.2019 (a total of10 miles);
Aston Lock to Spiggot's Bridge (each way) 05.03.2019 (total 4.25 miles/6.75 kms);
Spiggot's Bridge to Crickheath (each way) on 06.03.2019.

Note: My total distance walked reflects the "out and back" nature of my walks, not the distance as a linear walk (which is detailed above).

At the present time, March 2019, the towpath is closed at this point as major refurbishment of the canal is in progress. Work is due to be completed sometime in 2020. If you are arranging to be dropped off and picked up further along the towpath, or walking it as a purely linear route, it is worth checking beforehand and making suitable arrangements. There is no obviously simple way round the works, although reference to the OS Explorer 240 Oswestry/Croesoswallt map suggests some obvious possibilities, leaving the towpath at Bridge 84 seems the most sensible option at the present time.

There are some very good guidebooks and maps for walking the canals in this area. The cheapest that I've found/used is the Heron Maps waterways Series Map: Llangollen and Montgomery Canals. This also passes the pocket test. The best is the Collins Nicholson Waterways Guide 4: Four Counties and the Welsh Canals. It is excellent for planning and following the route, although a little bulky for a pocket. If the towpath is blocked, then you will also need the appropriate OS Explorer Map.

I used a local B&B for my walks, Penllys Bach, at Llanfechain, primarily because it is very dog friendly, convenient and the food's really good.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes