walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cateran Trail update

Cateran Trail update

Postby Scottk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:11 am

Route description: Cateran Trail

Date walked: 19/04/2019

Time taken: 2 days

Distance: 90 km

Ascent: 2000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just did the Cateran Trail as training for TGOC. Spur of the moment decision with the forecast looking good. I walked from Alyth clockwise and didn’t do the Blairgowrie spur as I knew I was going to be tight for time.
I drove down to Bridge of Cally early on Friday but couldn’t find a decent parking spot so went back to Alyth and started there. Was on the trail by about 8:30. This section to Bridge of Cally has quite a lot of road walking and some of the trail markers are concealed by bushes. I made it past Glenshee and camped in trees at the back of Glenshee Mountsin Training which is now a Christian centre I think.
The next day the birds started about 4:30 and I eventually got going about 7:30. Another beautiful day and wore shorts and t shirt again. Got to Glenisla at midday and went on about an hour before stopping for lunch. Made the final push to Alyth and was feeling the effects of 2 long days coming up the final hills before the descent into town.
It had been 2 long, pretty tough days but helped by the glorious weather and pleasant countryside it had passed fairly easily.
The reports I read mentioned large stiles but I only came across 1 I had to use and about 3 to cross field fences. There has been a lot of new fences and gates installed which may be to encourage bikers. The gates either have a separate gate at the side or the are dual purpose livestock gates with a gate built into it.
Underfoot the ground was dry with little evidence of boggy ground. The couple of places it as bad can be bypassed.
Overall, a great couple of days in fantastic weather.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Re: Cateran Trail update

Postby jassinc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:30 pm

cheers for you report. Im starting the Caateran trail 4th July. many thanks
jassinc
Munro compleatist

Munros:171   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes