walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Llangollen Canal: 1 Horseshoe Falls - Ellesmere

Llangollen Canal: 1 Horseshoe Falls - Ellesmere

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:19 am

Date walked: 28/07/2019

Time taken: 4.5 days

Distance: 57 km

Ascent: 160m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Llangollen Canal Path:

The total length of the towpath is about 73.5 kms/46 miles, this first section covers the first 35 kms/20 miles or so.

Introduction
I regularly visit the Welsh Borders and take the opportunity to get out and do as much walking as I can. Depending upon the time of year and the weather, getting up into the Arans, Arenigs, and Berwyns is usually my main priority, however, there are excellent long distance trails and footpaths offering quality walking throughout this area at lower levels (e.g. Offa's Dyke, Clwydian Way, Dee Valley Way, North Berwyn Way, Severn Valley Way) and I have been completing local sections by doing short walks each time I visit, (frequently repeating some of my favourite sections).

The Llangollen Canal Path is one of those routes that I have been completing. The following are personal reports, organised to present a continuous narrative for anyone wishing to complete the walk in just two or three days from Llangollen. If I and my spaniel Flynn look much younger in some of the photos than others it's because we were!

[i] Horseshoe Falls, Llantysilio, Llangollen – Froncysyllte 10 kms / 6 miles

23.08.2014 Trevor/Froncysyllt (SJ 272412) Trevor Hill Wood (Both the main route and alternative permissive route were walked.)
25.07.2012 Trevor Hill Wood - Llangollen
12.08.2013 Llangollen - Llwyn Hen-part (SJ 220463)

web 125 Llangollen P1020580 2012.07.25.jpg
Llangollen

web 126 Llangollen P1020593a 2012.07.25.jpg
Flynn

web 130 Llangollen P1020585 2012.07.25.jpg
Above Llangollen

This section includes the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (walked on 23.08.2014) where a head for heights increases the enjoyment of the walk. The views of the Dee Valley from it are awesome and vice verca. It can be by-passed by taking the alternative permissive route of the Offa's Dyke Path. A good circular route that uses both may be taken from Trevor/Froncysyllt (SJ 272412) where there are good parking and refreshment opportunities.

web 104 Trevor Basin.jpg
Trevor Basin

web 105 Pontcysyllite Aquaduct.jpg
Pontcysyllite Aquaduct

web 106 Pontcysyllite Aquaduct and the River Dee.jpg
Pontcysyllite Aquaduct and the River Dee from Ty Mawr Country Park

[ii] Froncysyllte to Chirk Bank 7.5 kms / 3.5 miles

27.03.2018 Froncysyllte to Chirk 6 kms / 2.5 miles
25.03.2018 Chirk tunnel, aqueduct and towpath to Chirk Bank 1.5 kms / 1 mile
04.03.2019 Chirk Tunnel, aqueduct and towpath to Chirk Marina and return, with C. Scott
The "Bridge", just off the towpath at Chirk Bank offers excellent views back across to the aqueduct and railway bridge, as well as good beers.

web 301 Approaching Chirk Marina IMG_3018  19.03.03.jpg
Approaching Chirk Marina

web 302 Hind ford  to Chirk Bank 2018.11.28.jpg
Chirk Bank to Hindford

Length: 16.4 km / 10.4 miles

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

[iii] Chirk Bank to Lower Frankton

28.11.2018 Chirk Bank to Hindford
Much of this section is co-incident with part of the Shropshire Way and is very pleasant, easy walking throughout, even in adverse weather conditions. "The Poachers", near Gledrid Bridge (just five minutes from Chirk Bank) is excellent, dog friendly and well-positioned if you are walking this section from Chirk Bank (or just five minutes further if walking from the Llangollen direction).

Length: 7.28 km / 4.52 miles Ascent: +41m -45m Naismith: 1h 31m (Which is pretty much the time that we took)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

27.02.2019 Hindford to Lower Frankton
Another pleasant section, suitable for a decent dog walk in rather less than ideal conditions. Given it was mid-week and out of season, carrying a flask and something to eat proved to be a sensible course of action as everywhere that might have offered hospitality was closed.

Web 402 Hindford to Frankton Bridge 4W IMG_2908 19.02.27.jpg
Hindford to Frankton, Bridge 4W

Length: 2.52 miles 4.05 km Ascent: +25m -23m Naismith: 0h 51m
Not having support, this section had to be a morning's "out and back" walk, so we actually walked 5 miles/8 kms.

25.07.2019 (iv) Lower Frankton to Ellesmere
In the event, we started this section from the Café on the Hill at Welsh Frankton on the A495 (good food, convenient parking, very nice people) where we were dropped off. It's only a short, pleasant walk down to the canal from there, although there also is good parking at Lower Frankton.
It's good, pleasant, easy walking on quiet, well maintained footpaths and we took around 2.5 hours to walk this section. The interest increases as you reach Ellesmere and a number of off towpath variations exist if you want to explore further, including circular walks. In the event we walked on past Red Bridge (No. 58) and picked up a footpath which took us up to The Mere (excellent café, meals etc., and excellent service) an ideal spot for lunch and/or to be picked up.

web 501 IMG_5621 69.jpg
Approaching Bridge 69

web 504 Approaching Ellesmere IMG_5634.jpg
Approaching Ellesmere

web 507 Blackwater Meadow Marina IMG_5642.jpg
Blackwater Meadow Marina

web The Mere Ellesmere.jpg
The Boathouse, The Mere, Ellesmere

Length: 5.83 miles 9.38 km Ascent: +58m -98m Naismith: 1h 58m

Personal distance covered: 57 km /35.5 miles (which is that recorded on my log).
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Llangollen Canal: 1 Horseshoe Falls - Ellesmere

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:45 am

I like the dog mooring!

That all looks good - I really want to get to Pontcysyllte.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: Llangollen Canal: 1 Horseshoe Falls - Ellesmere

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:39 am

It really is very pleasant, all year round walking and (unless there's an organised charity walk or similar) seldom too busy. Most of it excellent for dogs, mine wasn't too sure about being "moored" but it was only for a couple of minutes! The aqueduct was a real highlight.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes