walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way and Great Glen Way on bikes with kids

West Highland Way and Great Glen Way on bikes with kids

Postby Troglodyta » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:57 pm

Date walked: 18/08/2019

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi everyone
Hi I’m planning going on this tracks (West Highland Way and Great Glen Way ) with my kids on bikes.
Could someone tell me where can I expect difficulties and also if there’s many gates on the way.
Thank you for all the info
Luke
Troglodyta
Munro compleatist

Re: West Highland Way and Great Glen Way on bikes with kids

Postby LaurenAlexandraAgain » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 pm

The section of the West Highland Way along Loch Lomond is quite rough underfoot and will be very challenging to do on a bicycle. Most of the cyclists I saw on that stage were carrying their bikes. There are also two big sustained climbs toward the end of the WHW: the Devil's Staircase and the climb out of Kinlochleven. There will be numerous small burns to cross each day, which will turn into larger burns if there's been a lot of rainfall. There are stepping stones across most of these burns for walkers, but getting a bike across will likely require dismounting and carrying it over. You'll encounter gates at fairly regular intervals once you get north of Loch Lomond.

The Great Glen Way shouldn't present you too many problems. A lot of it is on canal towpath, which will make for smooth, level riding. Only bit I can think of that might pose a challenge for cyclists is the climb out of Drumnadrochit, but that's soon over. NB that the Great Glen Way follows minor roads for a bit after Abriachan, so your kids should be savvy about biking on a road where they might encounter cars.
LaurenAlexandraAgain
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:22

Postby gaffr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:39 pm

I agree with the earlier replier about the Route to FW from the South... Would be a real toil for young bikers.
As for the GGW that I have followed on my bike...don't forget the steep wee climb out of Invermoriston on the minor road (achnaconeron) another toil with overnight kit on the bike.:-)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Troglodyta » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 am

Thank you for the quick reply.
That was very kind of you.
I wish you a nice day.
Luke
Troglodyta
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes