walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way over 7 days

West Highland Way over 7 days

Postby Hevs_ » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Date walked: 09/08/2019

Distance: 154 km

Ascent: 493m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My friend Carol and I had decided to do the West Highland Way earlier this year - we started on 3rd August 2019 and I finished solo on 9th August 2019 - below is a daily breakdown of our walk

Day 1 Milngavie to Drymen

So, Carol and I arrived at Milngavie at break neck speed cause I was running late from a funeral and couldn't get out of the chapel car park then got stuck behind every slow driver in the country and stopped at every set of red lights. So her hubby had to drive super fast to get us to the baggage transfer people for 12pm but we made it with 4 mins to spare. The driver chucked our rucksacks in his van, and told us the first pub was in 6 miles. Duly noted. Carol and I spent some time in Costa Coffee to plaster on the sun tan lotion and to organise ourselves before heading off down the WHW path out of Milngavie. We got a lovely send off from the Costa Coffee waitress who waved us off and wished us well.

As we walked we met a dog walker with a lovely malamute who informed us we were actually going the wrong way and had missed the turn to the WHW which was 200 yards back the way. There were cars parked in front of it so not our fault but we laughed and headed back to the right route. Passing Craigallian loch we spotted a lone fisherman in a boat, happily ignoring the huge No Fishing sign. By this time the heat was just about bearable and around 25 degrees. But we pushed on safe in the knowledge we had our sun lotion on. There were no midges and very few flies so we were happy.

As we entered Carbeth we heard loud country music in the form of "I Can't Stop Loving You" and saw some absolutely lovely huts, and were greeted by a friendly gardener working away. Everyone we met was so super friendly. On the way out of Carbeth we spotted a sign for the WHW app so downloaded that in case we needed it.

Up until now the views were minimal to non existent and the walk straightforward. We now entered the gates into the Duntreath Estate, Arlehaven Plantation, where some kind soul has updated the sign to advise that good views lay ahead. And they certainly did. The views of the hills were beautiful with Dumgoyach Hill looming over us. By this point I was sure my face was melting the heat was so incredibly strong. Fortunately it was just our chocolate that melted, as we stopped for a break and ate our melted Salted Caramel Protein bars and had a drink.

At the 7 mile mark we found the pub. There was much excitement as we looked forward to a cool beer and an opportunity to pee. My bladder got more tuggy the closer we got. My brain really needs to stop telling my bladder how close we are to the loo. A cold one later, we headed back out not wanting to waste time. From this point the path is pretty boring tbh. But we eventually hit the tiny village of Gartness, where we came across an honesty box with ice creams for sale. Oh my days best ice lolly ever. Pineapple flavour. We only had a few miles to go so powered on.

The rest of the hike was on roads and was pretty boring. We did see a few nice views and a nice seated area with a portaloo set up for hikers. Lovely Scottish hospitality. We arrived in Drymen 5 and a half hours after leaving Milngavie and checked into our hotel, getting a gentle ribbing from the Irish guy on the desk who thought he was funny. Quick change of clothes and we were soon having dinner. Sat next to the girl who did my training at NFU when I worked there but she didn't recognise me...I hope.

Feet are ok, I had hikers rash for the first time ever and we are so very tired. Here are some pics from the days travels. And I'm still singing "I Can't Stop Loving You"

$matches[2]
Hevs_
Mountain Walker

Munros:15   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes