walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Angles Way 4. Beccles - Great Yarmouth

Angles Way 4. Beccles - Great Yarmouth

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Date walked: 11/11/2019

Time taken: 3 days

Distance: 45 km

Ascent: 200m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Angles Way: 4. Beccles to Great Yarmouth
IMG_6162 Angles Way waymark web.jpg
Angles Way waymark

Introduction

The Angles Way, for much of its length, follows river Waveney Valley which forms the border between Norfolk and Suffolk and is a truly excellent waterside walk. The extended route now also forms a link between Peddars Way at Knettishall Heath, and the Weavers Way at Great Yarmouth.

The Angles Way has had several alterations and improvements since it was devised in the late 1980's. Currently the main route is 78 miles long, (94 miles if the extension to Thetford following sections of the Ickneild Way and Iceni Way LDFPs are included).

An excellent little guide book to the route has been published by The Ramblers Association and is one that I would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone intending to complete the route, although it may now be difficult to get hold of a copy.

Since my circumstances don't currently allow me to put on a rucksack and walk from one end to the other in a single continuous journey, (always my preferred way of completing a long distance route) I propose to tackle the route by a series of much shorter walks; where possible by using public transport, devising circular walks, or being dropped off by some kind person at one end of a section and walking to my car parked at the other. Where needs must, then it will have to be by walking out and back completing some sections in both directions.
The result, inevitably, will be that I walk much further than the nominal 78 miles, but will see more of the adjacent countryside and villages which I see that as a positive thing.

Given that I shall do sections as and when convenient, rather than in any particular order, and that I shall probably end up doing between 10 and 20 short walks by the time that I eventually finish, I shall record my walks in four separate walk reports as follows:

Angles Way: 1. Knettishall - Diss
Angles Way: 2. Diss - Homersfield
Angles Way: 3. Homersfield - Beccles
Angles Way: 4. Beccles - Great Yarmouth

Once I've completed a section I'll upload the report and edit and update it as I make further progress. I'm in no hurry though, but some of the short walks may be of interest to those taking walking holidays in the area. The Beccles to Great Yarmouth section is the only section that I've completed to date, so don't look for the others yet.

Angles Way: 4. Beccles to Great Yarmouth

Beccles to Oulton Broad South Station
This section of the Angles Way is an easy and very pleasant 15 km (9 mile walk) between Beccles, Suffolk and Oulton Broad.The walk largely follows the Norfolk/Suffolk boundary on the Suffolk side of the River Waveney. The flat raised flood defenses generally make for good walking as they are very well maintained.
There are good refreshment possibilities at both ends, but absolutely nothing in between.

web 02 Beccles Marina a.jpg
Beccles Marina

Waveney web Angles Way 02.jpg
Typical section of the River Waveney

web 04 Oulton Broad.jpg
Oulton Broad

At Oulton Broad there is the option to finish at either of Oulton Broad South, or Oulton Broad North railway stations. Note that these stations are not on the same line, and that not all of the trains that pass through the stations stop. Alternatively, there is also the option of walking to either of the Lowestoft Stations (train or bus, depending on which mode of transport you wish to use to return home).
Both Beccles and Lowestoft are well served by public transport from Norwich, and the East Suffolk Line connects with Ipswich.

This section of the Angles Way also happens to be one the East Suffolk Line Walks (Number 21). This may be downloaded from: http://www.eastsuffolkline.com/walks

The full walk from Beccles to Lowestoft bus station is about 21 kms (12.5 miles).

Oulton Broad North Station to Somerleyton Station
Trains on this line are regular, but not necessarily frequent. Both are on the Norwich to Lowestoft Line, however, not all the trains stop at Somerleyton (about one an hour on weekdays). If you do find that you've just missed a train The Duke's Head is about six minutes away from the station and only about 25 metres off the Angles Way. A pleasant place to spend half an hour. It's also a good place for lunch if you are walking beyond it.
The walk between Oulton Broad South Station and Oulton Broad North Station along the Angles Way is short and simple. Those catching a bus or train to or from either of the Lowestoft Stations may well walk it on route to their station.

IMG_6155 Oulton Broad North web.jpg
Oulton Broad from the North

The walk to the north of Oulton Broad is initially through leafy suburbs and well way-marked. It then takes a footpath up by the side of Oulton Church (locked) and then takes a green track, foot paths through grazing marshes (cattle may well be present - they were when I walked it) and woodland carr. There is, apparently, an alternative route taking tracks which avoid the grazing marshes.

web 6158 St. Michaels Oulton.jpg
St Michael's Church, Oulton

web 6161 Blundeston.jpg
Grazing near Blundeston

By the side of the track near Blundeston is a memorial to two American airmen who lost their lives in 1944.
As you arrive at Somerton the route passes by Somerleyton Station, through a boatyard and up to the road. Just off to the left is the Duke's Head public house.
web 6168 Somerleyton Marina.jpg
Boat yard at Somerleyton

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 17 miles 27.5 km Ascent: +120m -127m Naismith: 5h 39m
This section was completed on 20.09.2019

Somerleyton Station to Great Yarmouth

Somerleyton Station to Caldicott

Somerleyton is a village worthy of a much longer visit in its own right. I certainly intend to return and explore iSomerleyton Hall and Gardens at a later date, however the village green and historic houses can be enjoyed whilst walking through the village from the station.
web Somerleyton Green comp.jpg
Somerleyton Green, water pump and village sign

Beyond the Hall the route soon leaves the minor road and follows tracks and footpaths to Ashby St Mary's Church, which is of a very long, narrow design. The church was closed when I visited by the outside of the building is worth a look and its benches welcoming.
web 7016 Ashby St Marys.jpg
At Ashby St Mary's Church

web 7006 Ashby St Marys comp.jpg
Retrospect of St Mary's Ashby

The walk continues along tracks until a stretch of minor road has to be followed for about 20 mins. Fortunately it doesn't see too much traffic, but leaving it and walking through the woods towards Fritton is a relief and the dogs were able to walk off the lead again for a while.
web Angles Way comp..jpg
Approaching Fritton

There are good footpaths alongside the road when you reach Fritton and I found The Decoy Inn dog-friendly and welcoming. Just down the road, past the village sign, is Fritton Church. This beautiful little thatched church was a real surprise and open for visitors. The exterior is interesting in its own right, but the 10th Century Apse inside unique in my experience.
My photos scarcely do either any justice. A must to visit if you can make the time.
web  Fritton Parish Church & Sign comp.jpg
Fritton Church and village sign

web 6990 Fritton Parish Church Apse.jpg
The 10th C. Apse of Fritton Church

From Somerleyton to Caldicoott is about 6 miles/10 kms.

Haddiscoe Station to Great Yarmouth

24.01. 2019 Haddiscoe - St Olaves to Great Yarmouth
A shorter day's walk, also accessible by public transport, is to take the train/bus to Great Yarmouth and return by train from Haddiscoe Station, or vice versa. It's probably more sensible to find out which trains stop at Haddiscoe Station (not all do) check the times and start from there. Buses and trains are much more regular from Great Yarmouth. We caught the 06.45 to Lowestoft (stopping at Haddiscoe) from Norwich Station and were walking by 07.30.
Catching the first light here can be magic and we were very lucky.

web Angles Way comp..jpg
Approaching Fritton

Length: 13.4 miles 21.5 km Ascent: +109m -105m Naismith: 4h 29m

Caldicott to Great Yarmouth
An alternative to breaking this section at Somerleyton is to continue on to Fritton and the leave the Angles Way just before Caldecott Hall and walking to Haddiscoe Station via St Olaves. This does break the walk from Lowestoft to Great Yarmouth into more equally sized sections and, again, makes using public transport from Norwich (which serves both Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth) quite straightforward. Again, note that not all trains stop at Haddiscoe Station.

The walk in from Haddiscoe Station, on this occasion very early in the morning in January, is a very pleasant one. We were rewarded with an excellent sunrise and a brilliant winter's day walking..

web Angles Way 2019 Marina Haddiscoe.jpg
Haddiscoe Marina at dawn

web Angles Way 2019 Windpump St Olaves.jpg
Windpump at St Olaves

Burgh Castle, and it's Roman Fort, are worth exploring if you have the time, This whole area also offers some excellent winter bird watching. Over recent years I've seen Hooded Crows, Hen Harriers, Rough-legged Buzzard and even Glossy Ibis from the Angles Way here.

Breydon Water can be a desolate and eerie spot, particularly in the mist, but navigation is straight forward and the path good. In poor weather Great Yarmouth can be a most welcome sight, as well as the end of your journey. It's a short walk from South Town Bridge to either the sea front or Vauxhall Rail Station.
web Gt Yarmouth Angles Way 2019.jpg
Arrival at Great Yarmouth

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Somerleyton to Great Yarmouth: Length: 14.1 miles 22.7 km Ascent: +121m -124m Naismith: 4h 44m
This section was completed on 10.11.2019
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes