walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norfolk Coast Path: [1] Kings Lynn - Hunstanton

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 am

Date walked: 30/12/2019

Time taken: 2 days

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 35m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This report the is the first of four that I'll be uploading covering the Norfolk Coast Path/England Coast Path:

Norfolk Coast Path: [2] Hunstanton - Cromer
Norfolk Coast Path: [3] Cromer - Happisburgh
Norfolk Coast Path: [4] Happisburgh - Hopton-on-Sea

Currently, there are some sections at the extremities that have yet to be finalised (due later this year, 2020, although there is scant evidence of progress south of the Snettisham RSPB reserve.) I've discussed the current state of play as I've found it, including making use of the Iceni Way/Walsingham Way between Kings Lynn and Snettisham.

King's Lynn to Snettisham Pits

Currently the only official continuous footpath from Kings Lynn to Snettisham follows the coincident section of the Iceni Way/Walsingham Way to Castle Rising (excellent village and castle - well worth a visit), and from there along the Iceni Way to Sandringham and Dersingham (also very much worth visits in their own right) before following a north-westerly route to almost the southernmost of the Snettisham RSPB Reserve pits. It's a very worthwhile, if seldom walked, route, but couldn't really be called a coastal path by any stretch of the imagination. I suspect that the intrepid could find a much more coastal route but I wouldn't recommend trying it until the rights of way issues, way-marking and paths are sorted out. It's very remote, prone to flooding and outside people aren't particularly welcome (rural crime is a real issue in remote parts of the county). I've explored some of it as far as I'm able, (it used to be a good place to see Montague's Harriers) and I've been out there with my SAR Dog and the local rescue team. At present best left for the locals who work and live there and know it well. When the Coast Path is sorted, I'll walk it and update my report.

At the present time the route from Dersingham brings you to the southern end of RSPB Snettisham Reserve where the bird-watching is absolutely outstanding, especially on the pits during winter high tides when thousands of waders roost there. In addition, sea duck, scarcer species of Grebe and divers may be present in winter.

This inland route (not currently marked on O/S maps) is about 15 miles/25 kms in length, however, John Merrill does an excellent little guide to the Walsingham Way (recommended) which would guide you as far as Castle Rising*.
The Ramblers Association have published a guide to the Iceni Way (ISBN 1 901184 641) which is also excellent, but probably currently out of print. Again, I'd recommend it if you can get hold of a copy.
O/S Explorer Map 250 Norfolk Coast West covers all this section.

*I have done a Walk Highlands report "Walsingham Way: Kings Lynn to Walsingham" which might be useful for the section from Kings Lynn to Castle Rising.

Snettisham RSPB Reserve to Heacham

This section of the Norfolk coast has been part of the Iceni Way, an 84 mile westerly route from Knettishall Heath to Hunstanton, since 1998. As an established coastal path this section is very likely to be adopted as part of the England Coast Path due to be completed in 2020.

There are two clear alternatives between Snettisham Beach and Heacham.
The most obvious is to follow the beach all the way. Great for the dogs, possibly a little exposed and, exceptionally, does flood, but a good walk with "big skies".

web_7387.jpg
The beach route

The other alternative runs a few hundred meters inland along the tops of the sea defenses. Although exposed, it offers a safer bad weather alternative to walking along the beach. Extensive wetland management is taking place here as part of the Ken Hills Estate Wetland Enhancement and Restoration Project. I've walked the section around Snettisham pits on many occasions, especially in the winter months, when the bird watching can be spectacular. (On this walk the highlight was two Rough-legged Buzzards, but egrets, wildfowl and waders were also present.)
Frankly, the inland route probably has more interest, but it comes down to personal preference. The circular route (about 5.5 miles/9 kms) is excellent.
web_7392 Ken Hills Estate Wetland Project.jpg
Ken Hills Estate Wetland Project

web_7382 Inland route along the flood defences.jpg
Inland route along the flood defenses

web_7379 Approaching Heacham.jpg
Approaching Heacham

The round trip from Heacham South Beach to Snettisham, which I completed on 30.12.2019, is about 5.3 miles/8.5 kms Ascent +/- 10m (allow about two hours for the round trip)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Heacham to Hunstanton

Less than 50m up the road from the start of the promenade at Heacham South Beach [TF 66350 37474] is a fish and chip shop on the left. As it serves the local community as well as holiday makers it is often open when other facilities are not. In my opinion, it is well worth a visit if you are hungry or want a hot drink, it is nearly three miles to Hunstanton from here and there may be nothing else open until you reach it. For what it's worth, I thought my cod and chips was excellent (and my dogs seemed very happy with their sausage!)

From Heacham South Beach [TF 66350 37474] there is concrete promenade all the way to Hunstanton, however dogs have to be kept on leads on much of the promenade and are not allowed on Hunstanton Beach from the beginning of May until the end of September.

An evening walk does, however, afford the opportunity of a fine sunset over the sea at high tide (something not normally available on England's East Coast, but this coast faces west!)

The round trip from Hunstanton to Heacham on 26.09.2018. Length: 5.75 miles/9 km Ascent: +/-25m (c. 1 hour each way). Heacham to Hunstanton: 2.82 miles/4.53 km

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

King's Lynn to Hunstanton is, in total, probably little more than 20 miles walking at present, but it felt much further than that. I've no doubt many could do it in just one day but some of the going (mud/sand/overgrown) is hard work.
The distance recorded just represents my additional, personal total: 11.5 kms / 7 miles (Walsingham Way is recorded elsewhere)
Last edited by jonathan - norfolk on Tue May 19, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Norfolk Coast Path: [1] Kings Lynn - Hunstanton

Postby CliffGee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:38 pm

For anyone walking the coast of Britain and who wishes to keep to the coast as far as possible, it is perfectly feasible to walk along the sea wall from King's Lynn to Snettisham RSPB reserve and thence to Hunstanton. It is simple, safe and now unobstructed. I had previously tried to post this information but I fell foul of the the moderator because I included a link to my blog of my walk around the coast of the UK. If you would like more information on this or other sections you will just have to search the internet but I doubt if you will come across my blog readily. Such a pity Walkhighlands has such a curious restriction. Never mind I am sure it is for some very good reason. For my part I will continue justcoasting around our beautiful country.
CliffGee
Munro compleatist

Re: Norfolk Coast Path: [1] Kings Lynn - Hunstanton

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Thank you for that information. I suspected that this was the case, and that the sea wall might well become part of the Norfolk section of the England Coast Path when it's completed. Unfortunately, I've not yet found time to check it out. I intend to do so shortly.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes