walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kintyre Way

Kintyre Way

Postby Billymaca » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Route description: Kintyre Way

Date walked: 21/06/2010

Distance: 139 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I walked the Kintyre Way for the first time, Day 1 took me from Tarbert to Point sands campsite, that was not my intension, I had planned to go as far as Clachan but the campsite was no longer there, so I had to press on, By the time I arrived at Point sands my feet felt as if they were on fire. 29 miles instead of the planned 22 miles.
Day 2 took me to Carradale campsite, a nice easy walk compared to the day before.
Day 3 Carradale campsite to Machrihanish campsite and was another sore day as the weather was hot and all of the walking was on hard packed forestry roads or tarmac.
Day 4 was going to be an easy day, But I made an error when buying the OS map of the area, I didn’t buy the latest version, the route had changed, instead of going over Cnoc More it went round, so I thought that the path going off round was another spur, I stuck to the map and went up and over Cnoc More. When I got to the top I had to follow the March fence down the other side, easier said than done as the fence posts were there but no wire, that’s no problem you think but I soon found the wire tangled up in the grass and heather I was walking in (the air was blue), I don’t know how many times I tripped on that B****y wire, flat on my face with a heavy rucksack on.
I reached the end by 14:00. A fantastic LDW with beautiful views, one day looking at Arran the next day looking at Islay, Jura, and Mull.
Billymaca
Scrambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes