walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another scrap of the John Muir Way

Another scrap of the John Muir Way

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 pm

Route description: John Muir Way

Date walked: 06/06/2020

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my first trips onto the 'new' John Muir Way over Drumbrae, and from Cramond out to Queensferry, I had to work backwards a bit to find another stretch that I could easily reach on foot - earlier in the year I'd looked at just picking it up from Carrick Knowe and coming over Corstorphine Hill from there, but with longer walks approved I decided to make the starting point the place where the canal and the Water of Leith meet - or at least come within some yards of each other vertically!

I had walked beside the river for a short stretch on the way up by the road, but I met the path along it beside the visitor centre, just before where the canal aqueduct passes over. It's not unusual for a canal to drain into a burn below, but this must be about the longest distance for the water to fall!

IMG_1128.JPG
Overflow

Although it wasn't the way I was going this time, I couldn't resist climbing up to the aqueduct for the view - the railway viaduct also crossing the river, a little lower down, and the wooden walkway.

IMG_1133.JPG
View from above

Beyond that there was a long stretch of fairly narrow path, squeezed between the river on one side and a tall fence on the other, first separating the path from a graveyard, and then from a large area of allotments.

There wasn't an awful lot to see along here, although looking into the allotments and wondering why bottles on sticks were such a popular crop was interesting, but at one point a man passing told me that I might see bullfinches at some very overgrown steps - I didn't find the steps, or the finches, but I did find a way down to the river's edge via some tree roots, and sat on a log in the very edge of the water for a while.

IMG_1143.JPG
Waterside

Something was darting about upstream without ever stopping for long enough to figure out what it was, but a robin came and posed very kindly on a branch just in front of me.

IMG_1152.JPG
Posing robin

A wooden footbridge took the path unexpectedly to the other side of the river, and along the back of some kind of industrial building.

IMG_1161.JPG
Over the bridge

I hadn't been particularly looking at the water - it was the excitement of other people that made me look over and see a fancy duck with some fancy ducklings.

IMG_1166.JPG
Fancy ducks

The path came out on a main road, but I really couldn't figure out just where I was, which surprised me. On the other side of the road was a Water of Leith walkway sign, and from here it was better marked than the John Muir Way, which often felt a bit like hunt the thimble.

IMG_1169.JPG
Over the road

It takes a lot of signs to say that the path is closed, apparently.

IMG_1171.JPG
Definitely closed

it wasn't even all that much of a detour, just a short stretch of blocked off road instead, past an old house, and then a mixed view of old wall and modern(ish) office blocks.

IMG_1175.JPG
Old and new

The two paths meet again by the metal footbridge at Ford's Road - the route doesn't cross it, but the map in the visitor centre window had told me that this was one of the few remaining signs of the enormous exhibition held in Saughton Park in 1908.

IMG_1177.JPG
Metal footbridge

Its original glory days my be gone, but the park has been all done up recently and is an impressive space. Oddly, there was a choice between Water of Leith walkway cutting right across it, and 'alternative route following river' - I went for the river, following round another old wall.

IMG_1188.JPG
Round the wall

There's quite an impressive weir here, which you would miss by following the official route.

IMG_1191.JPG
Weir

Both paths just pass the entrance to the flower gardens, but it was worth a brief detour.

IMG_1192.JPG
Colourful flowers

On the other side of the road the path plunges briefly into a kind of tunnel, but it didn't last long.

IMG_1196.JPG
Tiny tunnel

The path eventually left the river at Murrayfield - there were a lot of people wandering by it here, but my route turned out to be along the parallel road (where I met some people I knew and stood talking for a while), and across it and onto the path around the edge of Carrick Knowe golf course - none of this was very well waymarked, although I figured it out in the end.

IMG_1198.JPG
Leaving the river

The path here was once the branch railway line into Corstorphine - it's clear and flat, but a little dull.

IMG_1199.JPG
Old railway

I wasn't on it for long, however, turning back down steps onto a road which led up towards the main road and the way onto Corstorphine Hill. I've been up here a few times before, and even in the last few months, just never following the full JMW route over the hill.

It's quite a varied path - first climbing in shadow under trees by a wall, then crossing open stretches of short worn grass, then a narrow winding path between gorse bushes.

IMG_1208.JPG
Climbing the hill

Up nearer the top of the hill you're among trees again, and the path follows an old wall round to an odd doorway tucked into a corner.

IMG_1211.JPG
Odd doorway

The Rest and Be Thankful viewpoint is the next landmark - mostly a golf course view in the foreground, but stretching over the city to Arthur's Seat and the sea and the East Lothian coast.

IMG_1216.JPG
View from the viewpoint

The path goes on curving round, now running below a fence which is part of the back of the zoo - there's always far more of this stretch than I expect, before it suddenly reaches an open area which is more or less where you come in from the Corstorphine side, and goes on climbing up to the tower near the summit.

IMG_1221.JPG
Corstorphine Hill tower

I managed to take the wrong path from the summit, turning straight down from the tower instead of retracing my steps to the main path, but I realised what I'd done and cut over to where I should be, this being more my usual prowling area - I could have kept to the path I was on and come out in the field by the walled garden, but I decided to do as much of the right path as I could!

Once on the right path it wasn't much further down to the gates of the garden.

IMG_1226.JPG
Walled garden

It's nice in here, although everywhere seems less exciting than it was earlier in the spring - too much green. Plenty of flowers to look at, though.

IMG_1228.JPG
Inside the garden

From there I only had to walk the short distance to the road to end up where I had started off the last time.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes