walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hiking the Cape Wrath (aka ‘Cape Rough’) Trail

Hiking the Cape Wrath (aka ‘Cape Rough’) Trail

by caromiri » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:30 am

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 04/08/2020

Time taken: 12 days

Distance: 320 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Hiking the Cape Wrath (aka ‘Cape Rough’) Trail

Postby Low Level Walker » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:06 am

Can’t really add anything further to what has already been said. Many congratulations to you both on completing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The video is perhaps the best I have seen yet on CWT. The schoolhouse bothy scene was so so funny.

Thanks again for posting. When I get opportunity I will be sure to watch your SNT vlogs.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby caromiri » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:26 pm

ScotFinn65 wrote:
caromiri wrote:
ScotFinn65 wrote:
I see you love hiking in Finland - initially our plan was to do the Kalottireitti but we then shifted gears because of uncertainties around travel restrictions. I hope to have a blog on that one next year !

I eventually managed to get to write up my adventures on the Karhunkierros in Finland, maybe it is of interest to you. Please be aware Finland suffers from mosquitos in the same was as Scotland does with midges :shock: The season is about the same. I heard you say you may prefer the tracks in Switzerland, Finland has prepared tracks and signposts. No map is needed for this trail
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=102445&p=438599#p438599

PS...... Still enjoying your Vlogs on Youtube. SNT was awesome. ...........Always Forward :clap:

Happy belated New Year !

It looks great and thanks for letting me know - yes, the Karhunkierros is definitely still on my list and we hope to make it to Scandinavia (Finland / Sweden) in summer. I take note of your warning about the mosquitos, so we were thinking either mid June or then late August and September !
caromiri
Walker

Postby caromiri » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:00 pm

ScotFinn65 wrote:
caromiri wrote:
ScotFinn65 wrote:
I see you love hiking in Finland - initially our plan was to do the Kalottireitti but we then shifted gears because of uncertainties around travel restrictions. I hope to have a blog on that one next year !

I eventually managed to get to write up my adventures on the Karhunkierros in Finland, maybe it is of interest to you. Please be aware Finland suffers from mosquitos in the same was as Scotland does with midges :shock: The season is about the same. I heard you say you may prefer the tracks in Switzerland, Finland has prepared tracks and signposts. No map is needed for this trail
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=102445&p=438599#p438599

PS...... Still enjoying your Vlogs on Youtube. SNT was awesome. ...........Always Forward :clap:

Hello ! Thanks so much for sharing - It definitely is of interest as the Karhunkierros has been on our list for a while. I lived in Finland for a year and also visited frequently in the summers - it is such a lovely country that transmits serenity ! Your write-up is excellent and gives a very good idea !

Thanks also for the warnings about mosquitoes - are they as bad as midges :lol: ? We're planning two hikes in Scandinavia this summer, but let's see whether COVID allows for this. Otherwise we will be back in Scotland for sure - it is so great for outdoors and when I said that, I was under the impression of the trillion midges :lol: !

UPDATE: We made it to go to Scandinavia - I wrote a blogpost about it in the forum ouside of Scotland and the first chapter is here:

Thanks for watching and following along !

Caroline & Antonio
caromiri
Walker

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes