walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

Lost Nikon D7200

Lost Nikon D7200

Postby SpidyM » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi All,
Just back from a 2 day holiday down in Strathyre and decided to bag the trigpoint Meall An T-Seallaidh. I did this on the Sat 3rd of July The weather appeared to be ok...so set off from the road not far from Lochearnhead and followed the path part way up... (between Meall An T-Seallaidh and Meall Reamhar) Then so far up I set off in a straight line towards Meall An T-Seallaidh ...When I got near the summit Just to the south east of the trig... a huge storm came in and hit me... so took shelter under a huge rock... and decided to protect my gear which was in a bag anyway but wasnt really waterproof... So it was places in my rucksack and I carried on up to the Trigpoint...which was fine... but by now visibility was next to 0 and I could only see 2 meters in front.. Anyway I carried on down the hill using GPS on phone (as forgot to pack my old Garmin Venture CX)....and near the bottom after being disorientated for ages.. I came across a fence and managed to get up on but then slipped and fell and ONLY then did I realise that the camera was gone and bag was opened half way!
Saying I was gutted would be an understatement ! I even went back up this morning on Sun 4th July to check that large Rock and then the trig point again to try retrace my steps....so am knackered now ( in the confusion the day before i headed south and then south east)....my camera within the black camera bag (which is a case logic case) Is a Nikon D7200 with 2 lenses in the bag (18-55 and 55-200) there are also 400 odd pics on the 2 SD cards that mean a lot to me..... I know this is a long shot but if anyone ever plans a trek here please look out for my camera bag which contains the cam and lenses and there would even be a wee reward.
Thanks for reading
Mike
SpidyM
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:13   

Re: Lost Nikon D7200

Postby DopeyLoser » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Do you have any positions from the GPS on your phone, or can you draw your approximate route between where you last knew you had the camera and where you first knew you'd lost it? Might help anyone who is in the area.
DopeyLoser

Postby SpidyM » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:46 am

Thanks for the reply and yes that sounds like a good idea thanks... will edit my post with this. aLthough not sure exactly where it was lost.. but yeah can at least give a rough trail of it. Thanks again. M
SpidyM
Mountain Walker

Postby SpidyM » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:10 am

Ok the map shows a rough route i took to the summit (red line with arrows) and the blue circle is the area I think the camera was lost.... as I said it came out backpack so no idea when this happened .,..all i know is it was after the summit as i did run briefly south south east of the summit (trying to get back as rain was heavy) but visibility was near 0
Attachments
route.jpg
The Trek
SpidyM
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found