walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

MISSING DOG- Loch Droma- Loch Glasgarnoch

Re: MISSING DOG- Loch Droma- Loch Glasgarnoch

Postby RicKamila » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:28 pm

We really hope your dog shows up soon. Keep checking this thread hoping for good news. At least there are people out there looking. Hope your phone rings real soon with good news.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Many thanks for Andy Fitz coming up from Lanarkshire with his dogs and covering to the summit of Am Faochanach (not sure spelt that right). Can't thank you enough, enabled me to go up the signposted track few yards east of the bridge and gain height for a view of the whole southern flank of the aforementioned munro, all the road past Loch Droma and pretty much upstream as far as the wooden stalkers bridge and the eastern shore end of Loch Glascarnoch.

May do the same on following days as this enables me to cover this whole area with the Binos which seems to feel better than walking any given bit. As mentioned previously unless I walk in the same spot as the dog little chance and I still think if he s found it will be because he stumbles onto someone else rather than me when I'm out. We'll see.

Plus the advice from Munlochy Animal centre (where I went to check on the report of what turned out to be another Springer) was that Sam will come back to the same area from time to time. Lady there also laughed when I said he'd been out 3 days, her view being for a Springer that was nothing and that he'll still be running about enjoying himself. At this I had an overwhelming urge to want to throttle him !! She also mentioed a Lurcher that was out for a week during the -20 of the winter couple of years back !

Boulderdash, I'll check out the Dam and the other one a bit more closely (Loch Droma) as advice from the centre also said he will eventually want to befriend someone for food and the Aultguish Inn, together with the travellers and beyond the two keepers lodges/huts the other end of the Loch are about all there is.

Also Boulderdash I'll let you know plans for Monday. Wife is back Sunday night so we'll no doubt be up there but I'll probably get told off for not doing the shopping so unsure what time just yet.

Watch this space.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby HelenK » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Am planning to head up to ullapool Sun from Falkirk. If I don't make it for 10:00 let me know what area you need searched. I am probably best at walking long distance roadside/verge and back. But could go further uphill if you require. Hopefully, if all goes to plan I will text you to say I am enroute.

regards
HelenK
HelenK
Stravaiging

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:46 am

HelenK, I'll be at the car park by the Met Stn near Torrandhu bridge at the west end of Loch Glascarnoch for about 1030hrs. RocketRon is coming too. Between us we will probably walk off either side of the road hillwards. I have walked roadside (both sides) between the keepers portacabin ( in a tall fenced enclosure) at the west end of Loch Droma and to the car park beyond the woods at the west end of Loch Glascarnoch.

Case of tossing a coin I guess, but either roadside from the car park i.e. if you were coming from Inverness on Ullapool road along past Loch Glascarnoch towards the end of the loch there are some woods on the right, just before these is a car park. I have not checked from this car park back towards the Dam by the Aultguish Inn. i.e. back towards Inverness.

At the other end from the gamekeepers cabin (inside the large fenced enclosure just beyond the Loch Droma dam (next loch after Glascarnoch going to Ullapool), I havn't checked roadside from there going towards Ullapool.

Either of these would be useful in case he's been knocked down. Not what I want to hear obviously but would put an end to the searching which again today has revealed nothing.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby rocket-ron » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:35 am

sorry dave i had way to much to drink lasst night got carried away with myself ill today
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Just to let you all know I found Sam at noon today, about mile and half south of the Torrandhu bridge on the hard track that runs along the hiilside to the east of the river.

I had sat up there half way yesterday as it gives a good view across the whole area, but hadn't gone to the far end where it descends steeply to the small wooden bridge over the river. As luck would have it, the showers that came over obliterated the views so I decided I may as well go on to the bridge and come back along the river. It was on the downhill to the bridge I met this sorry looking dog coming up !!!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but this walk I had done with the two dogs many times and obviously it was most familiar to Sam.

He was a bit unsure when he first saw me, probably thought **** now I'm trouble, but a few handfuls of biscuits and we set off back to the car. Despite his 4 days and nights he was still sniffing and nosing about for the first part back, but then his pace dropped to a plod by my side.

Now home and fed he is a little lame/stiff on the front wheels, but this is often the case after a days outing anyway so we'll keep an eye on him.

Not sure whose lost most weight Sam or me, needless to say I can return to normal bedtime hours now and if I'm out anymore this week it will be with camera only ! If I'd had known this was going to happen I could have stuck with a 34 inch pair of Rohans instead of the 36, a first for me (alarm bells ringing).

Many thanks to one and all for the support both emotional and physical it is very much appreciated. For anyone who passed on the missing alert apprecaite if you can now recall those. The power of the web, I've had texts from people offering to look out, and I still don't know who some are !

Special thanks to Andy and Mel (sorry if I've got your partners name wrong-went blank as I typed) in the Bus in the layby for your chats and help in looking out for him. Hope the photo came out OK of the reunited dog.

Also special thanks to HelenK for coming out today and checking roadside as I must confess, fearing the worse, I thought this would be where we'd find him after 4 nights.

Lastly special thanks for AndyFitz for coming all the way up from Lanarkshire (some 3-4 hrs each way I believe) to search to the summit and surrounding area of Am Faochagach with his two dogs in rough summit conditons. If that doesn't deserve the Webtogs award for the month I don't know what does !

Have attached a photo of Sam, who is now asleep on the bed behind me snoring !! :D
Attachments
_A165419.jpg
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Brilliant news! We've been checking this site almost hourly for updates.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:10 pm

So glad for both you and Sam - terrific news. :clap:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby sloosh » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Great news! :D

I've been following this thread since it began, checking it several times a day for an update. I'm so glad it worked out for the best!
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby andyfitz » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Fantastic news. Brightend up a dull sunday for sure.
Well done for sticking at it for the many days and hours you did. Excellent.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby soulminer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy :thumbup:
soulminer

Postby walk aboot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Fantastic news! I've been following this thread too and waiting to hear that you found him :D .

Bet he sleeps for a fortnight! :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Tradoch » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Excellent news! :D
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Munros:23   

Postby Boulderdash » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Phewwwwwwwwww! Alls well that end well eh. :D
Boulderdash
Rambler

Munros:38   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby durquhart » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:40 pm

so glad you got your dog back mate.
durquhart
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found