walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

Lost dog on A' Mharconaich area

Re: Lost dog on A' Mharconaich area

Postby hills » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Going to head up on friday, see if we can help, any area you want checked out? Seems all areas around where we went amiss have been well checked. Was thinking that maybe if he found the railway fence, then he could have followed it beyond Dalwhinnie, so perhaps north west of there?
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Boulderdash » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Checked out railway line from Dalwhinnie to within probably no more than half a mile to Balsporran and did both sides. Nothing. Then headed up to Dalnaspidal and checked railway line south for approx three miles as far as phone mast and came back the other side. Again nothing. There were a few dead sheep/deer on the line but in both cases but no sign of Benji. Tricky to check though as there are deep ditches either side of the line and the lie of the land can make for awkward views. Checked all visible railway maintenance huts as well.
Boulderdash
Rambler

Munros:38   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby andyfitz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Searched today with weeblackdug as per my previous post - other than Sgairneach Mhor which seemed too unlikely. Also did roadside. Spent a lot of time searching Gael Charn, pretty much all round it and using binoculars. My guess is he's not there. If he headed off Gael Charn and didn't head towards A9 I'm guessing he has headed down to Loch Ericht. Which direction thereafter is anyone's guess. I don't think he is on high ground. Sad to see his bed and food out untouched. Really sorry nothing more hopeful to report.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 am

Thanks so much to every body that has given up their time and greatly appreciated efforts. We would be lost with out all your help, support and total generousity.
We are just home from being out all day searching and no sign.
Dont know where we go from here.
Bless you all.
xxx
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:20 am

electricfly wrote:Can't get back up again before Sunday due to work, but if anyone is up there before then...

...One part of A'Mharconaich that Spiderweb and I didn't manage to search thouroughly was the southern gullies that drop into Coire Dhomhain. We covered the northern aspect of the summit and it's crags, but with the light fading and clag rolling in, we were unable to drop down those two gullies to the south.

Please only search these areas if you are an experienced and competent scrambler. The rocks are very unstable and will come away in your hand as I found out on the NE crags. :shock: There could also be some snow/ice still clinging on here too.

Would like to think that Benji won't be there, but it nags me that this section should be explored so that everyone can focus attention on a wider search.

Hopefully get into these later today
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Moobli » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 am

Good luck today x
Moobli
Wanderer

Postby joonnifer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 am

Jac I know you said you werent that experienced and I think it looks unsafe for you to go into those gullies :-( I have a feeling one of the chaps has already looked there but maybe I am wrong but would hate to think you felt forced to do something beyond your capabilities :-( Please take care!
joonnifer
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby andyfitz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am

Checked the upper reaches of one on left of picture by following edge of it on descent to Coire D. Scanned other one from below and side with bins but that not fail safe.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Our plans for checking will have to wait intil tomorrow. With all the walking we did yesterday, we are crippled and need to recharge for searching those areas. We arn't experienced scramblers but weve got to do what we have to do.
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby ballarat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:15 pm

at the risk of being deemed an old fool :)

is there no chance of,A a television slot at teatime B help from local mountain rescue groups search n rescue etc
C are there no territorial/full time soldiers looking for a few nights on the hills preferrably a brigade of ghurkas :)

D arranging a W/H meet in the area in a few days

getting even dafter is there no groups that fly those microlites around,that could help
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby brpro26 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Reckon with all the foot traffic on the ground looking for him in that area he'd have been spotted...well I'd hope so anyway. The rail-track driver report is a worry for me, said he hit a dog although it might have been a sheep or deer, this must be a common occurance for them and he'd know what was on the tracks. I know you've checked the line up and down but what about actually getting on the train and checking the line up and down from the window view high up for any signs. Bird activity in a localised area is not a good sign so look out for that. :(
Trying to be more positive what about camping out in the area and cooking up a few sausages and burgers to create a smell that might bring him in about.
If he's got a homing instinct then look at searching an area between your home and Drumochter.
You'll probably have been in touch with them but what about all the contractors in the area working on the Pylons have they seen anything, their dotted around in some of the hotel and B&B accomodations in the area.
Has anyone got any mates in the Police dog handler squad that could help out on their days off to try and pick up a scent or as said already any MRT looking to "train" in the area.
At this time no idea is a bad idea.....Merry-walker(Jac) stay positive but look after yourself lass.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 pm

As it is unlawful for others to tresspass on the tracks is it possible for Railtrack to do a maintenance examination of the track of the area concerned in the very near future, as it is virtually impossible to do a detailed examination from either side because of the difference in level. Just a thought.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby peter tindal » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:54 pm

C are there no territorial/full time soldiers looking for a few nights on the hills preferrably a brigade of ghurkas - I am afraid unless requested from government level they can't be deployed. If a battalion wanted to "train" or exercise in private land (ie, not military training area) they need at least 2 months notice to Brigade HQ!

D arranging a W/H meet in the area in a few days - This is think is the best option, CENTRAL COORDINATED with as many folk as possible. Low level and on higher ground by those more capable.
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby MG1976 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:As it is unlawful for others to tresspass on the tracks is it possible for Railtrack to do a maintenance examination of the track of the area concerned in the very near future, as it is virtually impossible to do a detailed examination from either side because of the difference in level. Just a thought.

I work for Network Rail in the telecoms division. I would always discourage people taking to the tracks, the risks are higher than a lot of people think. I understand this situation, so being a jobs-worth would only upset those trying so hard to find him. If someone can give me some details on the stretch of line that would be best checked, I'd be happy to try and speak to the local maintenance teams. The highland lines are checked weekly from what I recall, so if I can find the right person, I may be able to see if they're willing to check things out from track level. The lines up north are bolted together, not welded, so the lines are walked regularly to check these. I just need be careful how I ask due to the safety red tape. Sad to say, techs can actually be disciplined for doing more work than they are tasked to do. I know that sounds a bit stupid but managers take the flack if their techs aren't doing just what they're there to do. Hopefully, I can get hold of a dog lover. The only other issue is that a lot of "track maintenance" is carried out at night when the trains aren't running. If someone PM's me some start point, end points, or any cuttings where access is limited, I'll talk to my telecoms guys in Glasgow. They'll know who to talk to further north and I'll take it from there.
Don't want to promise something I can't guarantee will happen, but willing to try.

Martin
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:20 pm

MG1976 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:As it is unlawful for others to tresspass on the tracks is it possible for Railtrack to do a maintenance examination of the track of the area concerned in the very near future, as it is virtually impossible to do a detailed examination from either side because of the difference in level. Just a thought.

I work for Network Rail in the telecoms division. I would always discourage people taking to the tracks, the risks are higher than a lot of people think. I understand this situation, so being a jobs-worth would only upset those trying so hard to find him. If someone can give me some details on the stretch of line that would be best checked, I'd've happy to try and speak to the local maintenance teams. The highland lines are checked weekly from what I recall, so if I can find the right person, I may be able to see if they're willing to check things out from track level. I just need be careful how I ask due to the safety red tape. Sad to say, techs can actually be disciplined for doing more work than they are tasked to do. I know that sounds a bit stupid but managers take the flack if their techs aren't doing just what they're there to do. Hopefully, I can get hold of a dog lover. The only other issue is that a lot of "track maintenance" is carried out at night when the trains aren't running. If someone PM's me some start point, end points, or and cuttings where access is limited, I'll talk to my telecoms guys in Glasgow. They'll know who to talk to, and I'll take it from there. Don't want to promise something I can't guarantee will happy, but willing to try.

Martin

Sounds good to me Martin, in my opinion, that is not to say others will agree, but in the first instance, would suggest the length of track between Balsporran B&B and Dalnaspital Lodge.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found