walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

Lost dog on A' Mharconaich area

Re: Lost dog on A' Mharconaich area

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:27 am

Moobli wrote:Just another quick thought. Is Benji wearing a collar and ID tag, and is he microchipped?
Where is the nearest animal rescue centre/dog pound that he would be taken to if he were picked up as a stray? I am happy to ring round if needed?

Benji was wearing a blue collar but his i.d disk fell off. He is microchipped and all the vets that cover the whole of that area know, as do the police, dog warden and every single animal rescue shelter...thanks for your offer, very much appreciated
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 am

Glendave wrote:Hoping for a positive outcome this weekend and hopefully people will be out on the hills this weekend.i am sure this has been suggested but a wee chat with the MRT team leader would be useful and he could advise on the trade routes usually searched in a hasty and longer term search and places where people tend to turn up in the area. I know benjj will range further but dogs tend to return to the place of origin ie where they left the pack and also follow scent cones ie trade routes where people or animals tend to use.he will also be likely to aim for water so lochs are a good bet too. I know benji does not jump fences so maybe funnelled along fence lines for some distance too. I am amazed the distances I have searched for people in MRT who have gone missing and benji will range further and to extend the search area maybe the next stage.hope he is home soon
Dave

Thanks Dave. Certainly worth a try... i know they wont come out and look unless theres a positive sighting of a dog in disress but maybe a chat re routes etc may help.
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Glendave » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Would be worthwhile and MRT only covered by police insurance when called out.assume it is tayside MRT so would be worth a wee chat with team leader
Glendave

Postby charliebloke1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 pm

I've been checking in on here day after day hoping to read some positive news about your search for Benji & just wish I could offer more assistance. It's one of the few areas I am fairly familiar with, just wish my workload would allow me the time to come up & help search.

Sadly at this time all I can offer are words. I won't pretend to understand what a torrid time this must be for you but,as a fellow dog owner, I'd just like to say your devotion & determination in finding him deserves that little bit of luck.

So for what it's worth I'd just like to wish you that bit of luck this weekend. . . our four legged friends are much more resilient than we often think.
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Either some wee wifie or man has taken him cos they're lonely and want to keep him, or he's been shot by some git of an estate worker and they've no cared where he is and been man enough to own up

[/quote]
Those have been my thoughts and if it`s the latter they should own up before someone gets seriously injured while searching for him. Not sure if the Police would get involved and call the Estate which would be the sensible thing to do before someone does get injured and then a full search is on.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby madasa mongoose » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:06 pm

I too have been checking in the hope that Benji has been found safe and well. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you both but, as a fellow dog owner, I'd be doing exactly as you've done. Try to remain positive. Dogs are remarkably resilient and he may still turn up and wonder what all the fuss has been about :)
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:26 pm

MW, I'll be down again over the w/e not sure exactly when yet, but I'll update you after... :wink:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby hills » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:05 pm

:( I'm sorry guys, no joy from me. Walked to Loch Con, then cut down to the lower track and scanned along Loch Errochty. Today really brought it home to me what a task you have had, and still have. We walk the hills all the time sure, but normally looking for a specific target that does not move, same on the way down. Looking at everything and all things is so different from the norm....

Couple of things that may assist, Scotrail were walking the line today in Glen Garry. And Balfour Beatty are building the Beauly - Denny all the way from the A9 to Tummel Bridge, workers all over the place. They had finished by the time I got back, sorry I should have asked around first. Defo worth asking these workers as they are spread out every few hundred metres.

Good luck this weekend.
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Reginald Rat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:48 am

Sorry to hear you've had no luck yet.

I'm heading over this morning to walk A'Marconaich towards Ben Udlamain. I appreciate this area has been walked a lot already but can't do any harm.... always the possibility that he's done a grand tour and come back on himself. I imagine if he's still going he'll be miles away by now though - advertising and poster campaigns are probably a good bet; he may surprise you.
Reginald Rat
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:3

Postby Doomsday » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:30 am

We are both so grateful for all your efforts.
Me and Jac are so physically exhausted, that we are going postering mad today.
All over the area. North and south.

Please don't take any chances with trying to find Benji..
Don't want any tragedies. ~

Thank you.
Doomsday
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks so much every one.

If you have dogs, give them all huge cuddles every day. You just dont know when the day will come when he isnt there any more :(
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby RicKamila » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Still got all of our fingers and toes cross for you Merry-walker and Doomsday that you get some good news soon.

I remember a story back home in Australia of a family who were reunited with their dog that went missing when they went on holiday in an unfamiliar area. Someone had found the dog wandering about, but couldn't find who the owner was so they kept it. After 8 years, they managed to find the owners and when they collected the dog, it remembered them.

Hopefully someone has found Benji and that he is safe and well with someone who is outwith the area you have put up posters and that you get him back soon.

Our thoughts are with you both.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Please look after yourselves and get some rest
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Reginald Rat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:24 am

Went up A' Mharconaich cross-country from the transmitter, headed round the south flank of Beinn Udlamain, and had a good look around the head of Coire Dhomain (and just to the south). Headed back over Sgairneach Mor, but was entirely in mist until dropping down towards the Sow of Atholl (so not much use) - descended a gully leading back to Coire Dhomain and finally walked back between the railway and the Boar of Badenoch.

No luck I'm afraid. I wouldn't be surprised if he's long gone and ends up somewhere miles away.
Reginald Rat
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:3

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Back to Balsporran today and walked the railway fence south on the East side until Dalnaspidel Lodeg was visible and then crossed the railway back up the other side.
I got to NN633749 and heard a dog bark 3 times in front of me and it appeared to be from the other side of the railway. I gained the next high point on my side and looked ahead but saw nothing but sheep and they were happily grazing i.e not being disturbed. I covered all the ground in the area checking fences thinking the dog may be caught up and not mobile. Given no sightings either, seemed logical.
I covered west across to a fence by a Legal Trap (with captured Raven ??) at grid NN631750 and then combed the rough bush either side of the railway from where I had been when I first heard the barking but nothing !!
I'd stake my life on it being a dog barking, but there was nothing seen and no other people about either walking with or without dog.
Was convinced enough that adrenalin kicked in and put a spring into my step.

So if I did hear right it wasnt caught anywhere along the West railway fence from Balsporran to my first GR or the East side from quarter mile south of my first GR to a point where a tarmac road comes in from the A9 via metal gate.
River checked also in the same area but nothing, never saw whatever barked and never saw anything running about.
Mystified and frustrated !! :?
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found