walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

Lost dog on A' Mharconaich area

Re: Lost dog on A' Mharconaich area

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:06 am

Oh God bless you all, so very, very kind of you all.

I hope that some one from TH's can update on today's events as we're exhausted from all the walking. Every toenail that hasn't already fallen off, has gone black (could be scubby dirt though) but tomorrow (or later today) will be doing the real hard stuff from what we've found out earlier.

I must stress though all your wonderful, amazing people and dogs..... your's and your dog's safety is the most important to us. PLEASE don't endanger yourselves or your awesome trackers...

Bless each and every one of you and your wonderful trackers.

Love you all

xxx

xxx
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby joonnifer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:50 am

To keep folks updated Jac recieved a call from Railtrack yesterday...a driver reported hitting a dog approx. an hour after Benji went missing. However a body was not found the driver could not describe the dog at all and there are a lot of sheep and deer about too.Jac and Ronnie are checking the tracks today :-( WE are all so hoping that this is not him....and send you lots of courage to deal with this dreadful task xx
joonnifer
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountainfain » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:11 am

Still going out today - will walk through some of the little glens right in the middle of that triangle between the 3 lochs.
The link to this thread is now posted on the mountain rescue Facebook page which has encouraged people to re-post, so that should get it out to a wider area in case he is making his way home.
mountainfain
Stravaiging

Munros:101   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:32 am

Not looking forward to today :(
Mountainfain, Hill loving lady.... please be careful where you're going.

Foggie climber thank you for everything yesterday. I sincerely hope your dog is okay. Please give him lots of hugs from us and keep us updated.

Bless you all.
Just away to leave and walk the railway :(

xx
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1

Postby Moobli » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:52 am

I will keep everything crossed today that Benji is found safe and well. I don't envy you the task of walking the railway at all :( , but will keep thinking positive thoughts in the hope it wasn't Benji the train driver hit.
Moobli
Wanderer

Postby David-Main » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 am

I had a check of a lot of the gully's that has been mentioned yesterday with my own dog (sniffer ), no sign. We covered all the south face of A' Mharconnaich and over to Beinn Uldlmain and then east along the 4x4 track of coire dhomhain before returning along the north face of An Torc. Its been a week now, and with all the sheep that's on the hills, I'm sorry to say but the farmers in the area would probably shoot a stray dog.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:281   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:15 am

David-Main wrote:I Its been a week now, and with all the sheep that's on the hills, I'm sorry to say but the farmers in the area would probably shoot a stray dog.

Jeez your a barrel of hope that's the last thing they need to hear,Jac & Ronnie maybe thinking it but really don't need to hear this,sorry if this offends.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby hills » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:21 am

Och this is all not what I wanted to read, but there's still plenty hope, good luck today, pity I am working or would have been up there. I still cannot copy the photo, that function must be disabled on this site.

And best wishes to foggieclimber's Beinn who collapsed while searching for Benji yesterday...
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby David-Main » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:48 am

gammy leg walker wrote:
David-Main wrote:I Its been a week now, and with all the sheep that's on the hills, I'm sorry to say but the farmers in the area would probably shoot a stray dog.

Jeez your a barrel of hope that's the last thing they need to hear,Jac & Ronnie maybe thinking it but really don't need to hear this,sorry if this offends.

No offense taken Gammy, I spoke with Jac and Ronnie yesterday down there after my search and they know the probability.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:281   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby Bod » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:51 am

Scoob, Fi and others helping Jac and Ronnie today.... we are hoping to see them later on.....
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Moobli » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am

I know it doesn't always happen, but a farmer, by Law, should inform the police if he has shot a dog. If it hasn't already been done (and I am guessing it probably has), then it might be worth a phone call to all the surrounding police stations in the area.

Fingers still well and truly crossed for a positive outcome.
Moobli
Wanderer

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:04 pm

So sorry to read of your situation, I can see you are taking strength from the amazing response from your friends here, I hope for a happy and safe outcome.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm

David-Main wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:

No offense taken Gammy, I spoke with Jac and Ronnie yesterday down there after my search and they know the probability.

Thanks David was just spouting off a wee shade,both of us are dog lovers & well done trying to find Benji lets alljust hope the end result is what we all want.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:51 pm

David-Main wrote:I had a check of a lot of the gully's that has been mentioned yesterday with my own dog (sniffer ), no sign. We covered all the south face of A' Mharconnaich and over to Beinn Uldlmain and then east along the 4x4 track of coire dhomhain before returning along the north face of An Torc. Its been a week now, and with all the sheep that's on the hills, I'm sorry to say but the farmers in the area would probably shoot a stray dog.

I don't think that will happen, all gamekeepers have been made aware of the situation.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby scoob999 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Myself,Fi, jac and ronnie covered the rail line from Dalnaspidal to Balsporran cottage and thankfully no sign of Benji
So there is still hope that he'll turn up yet!
Not sure what to suggest now as this whole area apart from the Loch Ericht side "i think" has been well scoured? we asked a large group of walkers we saw today to keep an eye out for him too
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found