walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

Lost my favourite hat

Lost my favourite hat

Postby CharlesT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Lost my favourite silly Tungl hat yesterday, possibly on the old tramway way back to car from the grey corries. Long shot I know but its kept me warm and dry in all weathers and it would be good to get it back.
tungl.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Lost my favourite hat

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:20 am

A tragedy of unparalleled proportions! I hate to lose a hat. It's part of you, with sentimental, or just mental, associations with times past. I once lost an Australian Akubra hat I had travelled throughout Australia with; gold prospecting in the Snowy Mountains, exploring in the jungles of the Northern Territory, traversing the great deserts of the Interior. Then I lost it on Rannoch Moor. Unfortunately it was khaki coloured and practically impossible to see if dropped on, say, Rannoch Moor. I can only hope it found a good home on some deserving bonce. I have also found hats on occasion, and worn them for a time until the hat passed on into the great hat pool as shared by all hillwalkers. Perhaps one day you and your hat will be reunited; you might spot it across a crowded room (maybe in the Clachaig on a busy night) and you may not be able to get to it before it passes out of the door, and into the night...

Bogart, Humphrey (Casablanca)#r_13.jpg
I guess a man's hat don't mean a hill o' beans in this ol' world...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby CharlesT » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 am

Well put CF, it is indeed a sore loss, not least as going bareheaded up Glen Nevis resulted in my denuded pate becoming sunburnt, a rare condition in Scotland!

It is indeed strange that something I found in a rummage sale in Frank Davies' climbers shop in Ambleside for the princely sum of £10 should become so dear to me.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:28 am

CharlesT wrote:Well put CF, it is indeed a sore loss, not least as going bareheaded up Glen Nevis resulted in my denuded pate becoming sunburnt, a rare condition in Scotland!

It is indeed strange that something I found in a rummage sale in Frank Davies' climbers shop in Ambleside for the princely sum of £10 should become so dear to me.
we've all got a favourite item. I used to have an old blue peak performance goretex baseball cap, which I wore on the hill and in the city. I bought it second hand for about £10, but I had it for years, and had it with me everywhere. I lost it during an Avicii concert on the Swedish archipelago about 3 years ago. I've got a replacement, but it will never be as good as the one I lost. :(
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sgurr » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:30 pm

My favourite simply disintegrated. The year they hijacked The Achille Lauro and threw an American in his wheelchair into the sea, all Canadians came across the Atlantic festooned from head to toe with maple leaves so nobody would doubt who they were. One left a ski hat in my shop. It was rather shaming to find how much more welcome I was while people thought I was Canadienne. Shortly after, Simon Hoggart wrote a piece in The Guardian complaining he had lost his hat, and what might readers suggest he buy instead? He received many suggestions, including a deer stalker(which might have suited him), but they published my letter saying that it was obvious, in light of experience, he should just wear the first hat he found. So I pass that advice onto you CharlesT, and now realise you haven't appeared on the "Give me a P, Bob" thread because you have been out of Wifi reach. Incidentally, Ronald Turnbull, in one of his hill books, suggests that hats have an agenda of their own, hopping from head to head in pursuit of their own hill lists.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sgurr » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby CharlesT » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Canadian hats are excellent. I have a Tilley which I wouldn't be without in the summer. Virtually indestructible and super cool. Still miss my Tungl fleece hat though, never ever had a wet or cold head and it covered my ears too - I grieve. :(
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 am

Sgurr wrote:Ronald Turnbull, in one of his hill books, suggests that hats have an agenda of their own, hopping from head to head in pursuit of their own hill lists.

I feel that this theory has a lot going for it. It also ties in (sort of) with my own theory regarding socks being the larval form of the wire coat-hanger. In the darkness of the night, a sock climbs from the sock drawer to the back of the wardrobe, where it turns into a wire coat-hanger - some of you may have noticed this - and after an indeterminate time, pupates and then hatches into a brightly-coloured Hawaiian shirt with palm trees on it.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Warric01 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:01 pm

Canadian hats are excellent. I have a Tilley which I wouldn't be without in the summer. Virtually indestructible and super cool. Still miss my Tungl fleece hat though, never ever had a wet or cold head and it covered my ears too - I grieve. :([/quote]
I was just looking at purchasing this cap, is there international shipping to the U.S.?

To answer what are my favorite hat is I'll post the three hats that I own currently which all vary in price and quality, My favorite hat has to be my most expensive one mainly because of it's quality.
Warric01
Rambler

Postby RocksRock » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Dpends on the state of Canada - US border relations - pop over into Canada and get one there, where they are made. splendid items - i prize mine very highly
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 am

Mad Bomber hats were a great company, dunno if they are still in existence O a quick google shows they are. However, the price is nice until you have to pay the customs duty on bringing them into Britain. Its about the same as much again, so a £30 hat will cost you another £30 to clear customs. Phooey. https://www.furhatworld.com/aviator-bomber-hats-c-42_65.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4bm346_b6wIVVODtCh14XQyVEAAYASAAEgLu4_D_BwE
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found