walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Glen Sherup Horseshoe- where was the wildlife

Glen Sherup Horseshoe- where was the wildlife

Postby BobG » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:56 pm

Mrs G and I went round the loop yesterday and were astounded at the lack of any bird life or furry creatures of any kind. Our grand tally on the 4 hour 9 mile walk were: two ravens, three or four skylarks and a similar amount of an unidentifiable small brown bird and one deer. I can see more birds in my garden just looking out the window at any time. There were a few walkers out, some with dogs(not on leads) but it wasn’t as busy as I would have expected. Any clues/theories out there?
BobG
Mountaineer

Re: Glen Sherup Horseshoe- where was the wildlife

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:10 pm

There's simply a lot more in terms of attractions in an urban area, shelter and food aplenty. I MTB in the lakes quite a bit, and I can often see nothing in a full day out on the fells, it seems particularly barren at times!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Re: Glen Sherup Horseshoe- where was the wildlife

Postby bigjimmy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:16 pm

Walked there quite a lot and same as you, never seen much, a lot of work done in the area re replanting native trees and it does look as if it should host more than it does.

Best recent walk for birding I have had was Peffermill and Moor Loch in Devilla Forest, accessing through Tulliallan Police College grounds, over 20 species in a couple of hours
bigjimmy
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings