walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Loch Garten wail

Loch Garten wail

Postby AspiringHiker » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:14 pm

Last week I was camping by Loch Garten in Abernethy Forest and around 7 in the morning heard a most peculiar wail from across the loch. It only happened once and was distinctly like a long loud wail unlike any Scottish bird or animal I head of lasting perhaps 2-4 seconds. It could be "Nessy" style prank, but I once head lion roars camping down south which I though where coming from other campers only to later discover those were actual lions in nearby cat sanctuary.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Re: Loch Garten wail

Postby CharlesT » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:16 pm

AspiringHiker wrote:Last week I was camping by Loch Garten in Abernethy Forest and around 7 in the morning heard a most peculiar wail from across the loch. It only happened once and was distinctly like a long loud wail unlike any Scottish bird or animal I head of lasting perhaps 2-4 seconds. It could be "Nessy" style prank, but I once head lion roars camping down south which I though where coming from other campers only to later discover those were actual lions in nearby cat sanctuary.

Could be a vixen, they can produce very eerie howls and shrieks. Dog foxes have a resonating bark that can have a wsil like echo.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Skyelines » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:16 am

Are you familiar with the calls of the Red-throated Diver?

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/red-throated-diver/
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby AspiringHiker » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:31 am

Skyelines wrote:Are you familiar with the calls of the Red-throated Diver?

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/red-throated-diver/

That's the one. Thanks. I didn't dream it up.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:44 pm

AspiringHiker wrote:
Skyelines wrote:Are you familiar with the calls of the Red-throated Diver?

That's the one. Thanks. I didn't dream it up.

Their calls, and those of their cousins the Black Throated divers, are utterly magical when heard sat by a perfectly still loch in the middle of nowhere. We were once on Loch Sionasgaig, in stunning conditions, when they started up and it was echoing off the hills. Astonishing sound.
If you don't know what they are, its a little misty and grey, and you're on your own in the middle of nowhere, perhaps substitute the word "magical" for "hair-raising". :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby tweedledog » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:06 pm

I had a similar experience to Mal Grey on Skye many years ago. A beautiful, low-slung black-throated diver out on the loch uttering that haunting call. Unforgettable.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:12 am

Is there anything that makes a noise like a horse? Apart from an actual horse, obviously. The neighing and whinnying thing. I heard it on an open area, by Loch Lyon. Couldn't see a horse anywhere.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings