walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed

Postby CharlesT » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:07 pm

Not as exciting as a Ring Ouzel, but I came across this monster today. It's already six feet tall and not yet flowering, but close.
20220606_135839.jpg

20220606_135859.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Giant Hogweed

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:02 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggh!
They're coming!
IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT! Etc... :shock:

Triffids.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Steve B » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:22 am

There is loads of Giant Hogweed growing along the Kelvin in Glasgow.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby rohan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:00 pm

Its reached my burn right on the route to the pub so I hope it doesn't become a problem for me next year.
rohan

Postby CharlesT » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:51 am

rohan wrote:Its reached my burn right on the route to the pub so I hope it doesn't become a problem for me next year.

So long as you leave it alone and don't come into contact with any part of it, particularly the sap, you'll be ok. Contrary to what the Lord C is suggesting, it won't assail you if left in peace. All parts are toxic and can cause a form of dermatitis.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby rohan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35 pm

CharlesT wrote:
rohan wrote:Its reached my burn right on the route to the pub so I hope it doesn't become a problem for me next year.

So long as you leave it alone and don't come into contact with any part of it, particularly the sap, you'll be ok. Contrary to what the Lord C is suggesting, it won't assail you if left in peace. All parts are toxic and can cause a form of dermatitis.

We already have common hogweed which causes similar (particularly if it is sunny) on a smaller scale. and I manage to avoid breaking that. My main problem will be if it takes over as the route is a feral path that was trod daily by my former neighbour. I visit the pub less often (but more in the summer months with light evenings) so the path is gradually getting reclaimed. The alternative route via the road is 3 miles as opposed to 1 mile. My sister ( as a child) spent one summer holidays with blistered legs from the common form.
rohan

Postby CharlesT » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:18 pm

As a non native invasive species it is notifiable to the local authority if growing on public land such as a footpath and they may have to eliminate it. If your footpath is not an established and approved right of way it probably doesn't meet the notification criteria. There are no notification requirements regarding it growing on private land, though it is illegal to plant it. If the landowner is amenable you could seek his permission to clear it in Spring before it gets going, or perhaps he could do so.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby rohan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:27 pm

CharlesT wrote:As a non native invasive species it is notifiable to the local authority if growing on public land such as a footpath and they may have to eliminate it. If your footpath is not an established and approved right of way it probably doesn't meet the notification criteria. There are no notification requirements regarding it growing on private land, though it is illegal to plant it. If the landowner is amenable you could seek his permission to clear it in Spring before it gets going, or perhaps he could do so.

There is a local notification scheme which I reported it to when it first appeared. As it is near the mouth of the burn they will not do anything until the upstream source is eradicated. I have tried to establish where exactly it appears for the first time upstream but can't due to accessibility. The landowner on one side of the burn will be quite happy that it is there...
rohan

Postby CharlesT » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:11 pm

rohan wrote:
CharlesT wrote:As a non native invasive species it is notifiable to the local authority if growing on public land such as a footpath and they may have to eliminate it. If your footpath is not an established and approved right of way it probably doesn't meet the notification criteria. There are no notification requirements regarding it growing on private land, though it is illegal to plant it. If the landowner is amenable you could seek his permission to clear it in Spring before it gets going, or perhaps he could do so.

There is a local notification scheme which I reported it to when it first appeared. As it is near the mouth of the burn they will not do anything until the upstream source is eradicated. I have tried to establish where exactly it appears for the first time upstream but can't due to accessibility. The landowner on one side of the burn will be quite happy that it is there...

And who do they think is going to eradicate the upstream source if not them, the Giant Hogweed removal fairy? The workings of the local authority brain are wonderful to behold oftentimes.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings