walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Stoat on Carn Mor Dearg

Stoat on Carn Mor Dearg

Postby Davestu9 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and posting for the first time. I'd like to use the wealth of knowledge here to answer a question that has bothered me for over 10 years now. Some years ago in the month of June I saw what appeared to be a stoat like creature on the summit ridge of Carn Mor Dearg very close to the actual summit. Has anyone else encountered this and was it in fact a stoat?
Regards to all.
Davestu9
Walker

Munros:180   

Re: Stoat on Carn Mor Dearg

Postby jmarkb » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Welcome to WH!

There are records of stoats on the top of Ben Nevis from the days when the Observatory was manned. More recently there have been sightings of a pine marten on the summit of the Ben - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRKhA0cBzwo
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:56 pm

I had the pleasure (sort of!) of seeing two Stoats knocking seven bells out of each other on the path up Meall a Buachaille in 2020, the noise was incredible, and it went on for a good 30 seconds right in front of us, before they realised we were there, and they scurried off in seperate directions!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:06 am

I once saw a stoat at the summit cairn of Derry Cairngorm, it romped about a bit and entered the cairn itself, hiding in the crevices between rocks. I've also seen toads and frogs at high altitude, in some very steep places, up on the slopes of Carn an Tuirc near the Glen Shee ski areas. We are not the only mountaineers, though I didn't see any little ice axes... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Tringa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:00 am

The pine marten video above is great. They are the delightful animals.

Caberfeidh's comment about frogs and toads reminded me of a sighting of a frog at about 900m on Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair.
Although it was summer I was surprised to see one so high and in such a remote spot. I reckon it would have a a very long hop over difficult ground(lots of rocks with gaps it could fall into) to get somewhere that would not freeze solid in the winter.

Dave
Tringa

Postby Davestu9 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:03 pm

I wish i'd asked about the stoat before now. Would have saved years of wondering quite what it was! Other weird sightings I can think of are an adder half way up Beinn Fionnlaidh, a common lizard on the approach to Ben Wyvis and weirdly small spiders shaped like mini crabs falling on me from the sky on Gulvain. Honestly!!
Davestu9
Walker

Munros:180   

Postby Skyelines » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:15 pm

Davestu9 wrote:weirdly small spiders shaped like mini crabs falling on me from the sky on Gulvain. Honestly!!

There are a number of crab spider species which got their name because they look (guess what) crablike and they do go "ballooning" by releasing silk as a sail on a breezy day they can be carried by the wind.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:23 am

Skyelines wrote:
Davestu9 wrote:weirdly small spiders shaped like mini crabs falling on me from the sky on Gulvain. Honestly!!

There are a number of crab spider species which got their name because they look (guess what) crablike and they do go "ballooning" by releasing silk as a sail on a breezy day they can be carried by the wind.

Yes, we'll say that. As Ship's Medic I can get you an ointment... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:08 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:.... I've also seen toads and frogs at high altitude, in some very steep places...

Indeed. This walking up to Lochnagar, at, I guess, around 850m.

20180414_113349 red.jpg
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby denfinella » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:29 pm

And 900m up on Carn a' Mhaim (Ben Macdui):

IMG_8134.JPG
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Sgurr » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:58 pm

We saw what we took to be a weasel on top of Baosbheinn once.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings