walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Not a sighting, but they could be useful .....

Not a sighting, but they could be useful .....

Postby Tringa » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:07 am

.....well to me they are.

I am useless at identifying anything other than the really common, eg blackbird or obvious, eg cuckoo, birds by their song so I found this video for some of the more common warblers good -

I also found an app called BirdNet. It lets you record bird calls/song and then identifies them. The identification is done online so if you don't have access to Wifi you'll need to use data, but you can record the songs and upload them for identification later.

It does make mistakes but it is pretty good - it correctly identified blackbird, wren and goldfinch a few days ago. By mistake I recorded some conversation on the radio and it identified it as Homo sapiens, so perhaps it can identify other animal sounds too.

Dave
Tringa

Re: Not a sighting, but they could be useful .....

Postby Jaywizz » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:04 pm

Really excellent - thanks for posting. Now just waiting for more migrants to arrive so that I can practice ......
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:167   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Not a sighting, but they could be useful .....

Postby CharlesT » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:16 pm

The RSPB provides a two CD set of British birdsong which you may find helpful. Very comprehensive.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings