walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Field vole

Field vole

Postby Tringa » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm

This sprightly character has been in and out of holes and crevices on the steps most of the day.

vole.jpg

Dave
Tringa

Re: Field vole

Postby CharlesT » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:01 pm

Very nice pic, but I think what we have here is a Bank Vole. Field voles have lighter brown fur and shorter tails.

The little devils inhabit my dry stone walls and eat my crocus bulbs given the chance.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Tringa » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, Charles.

I think you are correct. We have commented on it(and the others) having russet fur.

The Mammal Society's, 'British Mammals 2018 : The Mammal Society’s Guide to their Population and Conservation Status' suggests they do not occur here(Gairloch) but as they are north, south and east of here perhaps they have spread.

Cheers

Dave
Tringa

Postby CharlesT » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:36 am

Tringa wrote:Thanks for the reply, Charles.

I think you are correct. We have commented on it(and the others) having russet fur.

The Mammal Society's, 'British Mammals 2018 : The Mammal Society’s Guide to their Population and Conservation Status' suggests they do not occur here(Gairloch) but as they are north, south and east of here perhaps they have spread.

Cheers

Dave

Yes, I understand the populations are patchy even in suitable northern areas, though why that is when they are so abundant elsewhere I shall have to look into. I have looked for a picture showing both species for comparison but all I can find are of dead ones which are a bit gruesome. Rather like the "gifts" my visiting cat leaves on my doorstep in exchange for the "Dreamies" treats I give her.☹
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings