walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Beaver Fever

Beaver Fever

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:44 am

I was by the River Dochart a bit upstream from Killin recently, and saw marks made by beaver on bankside trees. I had previously seen marks of them by the Tay downstream from Aberfeldy, but I had not realised that they had gone beyond Loch Tay. Some people on Facebucket tell me that beaver have been present in the Trossachs for a while now - what a great place for them; loads of trees, burns and lochs out of the reach of traffic and crowds. Has anyone here seen beavers, or signs of them, in the Trossachs?

Beaver gnawed wood.jpg
Beaver-gnawed wood
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Beaver Fever

Postby Bimbling » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:35 pm

There was a comprehensive survey commissioned by NatureScot published in 2021. Its long and scientific but in amongst the figures are 'density' maps which show where beavers are, including in the Trossachs

https://www.nature.scot/doc/naturescot-research-report-1274-survey-tayside-area-beaver-population-2020-2021#Annex
Bimbling
Hill Bagger

Munros:263   Corbetts:29
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:44

Re: Beaver Fever

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:25 am

Bimbling wrote:There was a comprehensive survey commissioned by NatureScot published in 2021. Its long and scientific but in amongst the figures are 'density' maps which show where beavers are, including in the Trossachs

https://www.nature.scot/doc/naturescot-research-report-1274-survey-tayside-area-beaver-population-2020-2021#Annex

Comprehensive indeed, though I can't help thinking they make an interesting subject seem a bit dull! It's good to see the wee beasties are spreading out and making themselves at home. I'll just send off to my Canadian cousin, Yvonne Chouinard-Caberfeidh, for some beaver recipes. And designs for beaver hats... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings