walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Wee leaf Destroyers.

Wee leaf Destroyers.

Postby gaffr » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:43 pm

Looking for some advice on these wee leaf destroyers that I came across when cutting a hedge today.
They were found in several silk? pouches attached to the vegetation. What insects will they become? after chewing holes in the leaves,
I have only come across something similar in Corsica where they call, what they have, chenille processionnaire where they were to be found on the Pine trees.
The hedge was mostly Beech with just one small section of Rowan but where the creatures were found was only in the the area of was what looks like Gean. The only affected area was the Gean section.
20220612_114558 (2).jpg
The wee leaf destroyers.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Wee leaf Destroyers.

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 pm

Think these are the Eastern Tent Caterpillars, there are several varieties so I will have to look further for a positive id.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:06 pm

CharlesT wrote:Think these are the Eastern Tent Caterpillars, there are several varieties so I will have to look further for a positive id.

Until someone with greater knowledge corrects me I will posit Malacosoma neustria.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby gaffr » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:59 am

Thanks for your reply regarding the wee leaf munchers. :) After you identified them as the one of the Tent Caterpillar tribe I searched on line for what was available for these. Doesn't appear to be any problems handling these of this tribe and seem very selective of the leaves that they munch. :)
Quite different from the Chenille Processionnaire that we encountered in France. I can recall the shrieks coming from some young French when we had our tent pitched under a Pine with one the silk hammocks dangling above us.
Again on the mainland of France we came across Pine trees with traps strapped to the trunks of Pines I guess to funnel the creatures into some fluid. These guys seem to move in joined up chains to another area of the forest.
Also I have read that Oak trees can be attacked.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby RocksRock » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:38 pm

Yes, Oaks in UK do get processionary moth attacks. We have them down south in Richmond Park, and I'm sure they will be elsewhere. The park authorities have a rigorous programme to try to be rid of them, spraying etc. Whether they will succeed, I don't know. I hope so, the big old oaks are a great feature of the park.
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings