walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Golden Eagle on Mull

Golden Eagle on Mull

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:05 pm

On Mull, last month we came across a group of people with big cameras and were told that the attraction was a pair of Golden Eagles. Unfortunately, my camera couldn't capture any detail as the bird was a long way up.
IMG_1888.JPG
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Re: Golden Eagle on Mull

Postby KatTai » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:45 pm

I don't want to disappoint you but looking at the colouring on the underside of the wings and the small beak I think that may be a buzzard.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Skyelines » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:26 pm

KatTai wrote:I don't want to disappoint you but looking at the colouring on the underside of the wings and the small beak I think that may be a buzzard.

Inclined to agree with that, initial reaction on seeing the picture was that the proportions didn't look right for an eagle.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:12 pm

KatTai wrote:I don't want to disappoint you but looking at the colouring on the underside of the wings and the small beak I think that may be a buzzard.

To be honest, I have no idea, it's just what 20 or so people with huge cameras and binoculars told me. They had been there for over an hour they said. I was only there to photograph a waterfall. Whatever they were, there were two of them, circling around, then moving a bit and repeat. I couldn't find them with my camera zoomed in, so I did the zooming at home. I only stayed for 10 mis, to get my waterfall pic, even there, there were two or three men photographing a small bird at the foot of the falls. I was presuming that with all the equipment they had with them they might know what they were looking at. I didn't even have any binoculars.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Tringa » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:59 am

A useful guide to buzzards and eagles -

Dave
Tringa

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings