walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Spring is here

Spring is here

Postby Border Yellerbelly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 pm

I went out for a bit of a ramble round the woods this afternoon with my partner Chenoa. Spring is definitely here, saw some blossom on someones garden tree and daffs are out in force.
We had a great day. After years of hearing them we finally got to see our very first woodpecker today. Greater spotted variety, but it was at some distance so no pics. Looked fantastic through the bins though.
Then we came upon a pond and these fellows were darting all over the place and making a rare old din. Plenty of spawn around too.
Toad.jpg

Whilst we were watching them these handsome chaps came down to the outfall for a drink. Having checked the info board at the car park and then my bird guide at home I'm sure they are Siskin but maybe someone with more knowlege than I have would like to offer a definitive identification.
Siskin.jpg

Siskin2.jpg

Siskin3.jpg

Fantastic to be outside this afternoon.
Border Yellerbelly
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Spring is here

Postby Gavin99 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Spring has sprung it seems , the woods are alive all of a sudden with bird song , the woodpeckers have gone into overdrive ! You must be delighted at seeing one , they are spectacular birds . Those little chaps are indeed Siskin , the male has a black cap , the female (and young ) are plainer , you had a nice view , they spend much of their time up in the treetops , though they do sometimes visit garden feeders .
:D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby fraochydug » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Spring has sprung, the grass has ris’,
I wonder where the birdie is?
they look like Siskin. they usually hang about in big groups. nice photos
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:53 am

Beauties, its hard for me to imagine Spring right now.....we've still got several feet of snow in the mountains :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings