walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

PIne Marten.

PIne Marten.

Postby Macka21 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi all, just joined and saw this thread. We stayed at a place at Appin, Loch Creran last year. The owner of the place noted on his website that Pine Marten visited the lodges. I was a little sceptical and asked him when we got there about them, he said to put out peanuts and we'd see one if we stayed up late enough. I couldn't make it, went to bed at 2pm but sure enough the peanuts were all gone and my wife said she heard him/her around 4am. The owner said it would definitely be the Martens, they didn't even mind a light on the verandah. We are off on the 6th April for 5 days so game on. I have my Canon SLR, an HD video camera and Red Bull. I'll report back with my shots (hopefully). Has anyone got any shots of them? Are they as rare/elusive as I think they are? I gotta say, It'll be a high spot of my life to see one. I'm trying to work out how to rig up a movement activated set up without too much expense if anyone has any ideas? (In case the red bull runs out) 8)
Macka21
Ambler

Re: PIne Marten.

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 pm

I saw those camera traps as used in nature programmes for ninety quid in Maplins, a little less online - try googling trail cameras or "nature camera trap". A great bait for pine martens is raspberry jam thickly spread on a digestive biscuit; spread them around your visible area (once the sun goes down so birds don't take them). I used to see martens in Drumnadrookit, they are not so rare as folk think, but they are elusive.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Ian Johnston » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:40 pm

A friend in Strontian has a Marten visit his bird table on a very regular basis; apparently a jam piece is the bait of choice...

Good luck, they're a beautiful creature!

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:70
Grahams:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:63

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 am

Peanuts, jam, peanut butter will all do the trick. Pine Martens have poor eyesight so, if you can guage where they're coming from, position yourself downwind, stay quiet / still and they'll still appear.

Good luck.
BoyVertiginous
Hill Bagger

Munros:207   Corbetts:66
Grahams:25   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:14   Islands:17

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings