walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Roe Deer

Roe Deer

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:47 pm

I disturbed a couple of roe deer whilst walking to Plockton's Coral Beach today. There were quite close but zipped away pretty quickly.

Not really on Skye, but it's actually the first time I've seen these in the Highlands. Are they common? :?:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Roe Deer

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:56 am

If you're still reading this... I've seen roe deer in Dumfries and Galloway (near St. Johns Town of Dalrigh)...
mountain coward

Postby maddjock » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:55 am

not sure if they're common, but they are certainly about. very shy creatures and have never seen more than 3 together at any one time, usually its only one deer by itself I see. Have never managed to get a good photo of them, as they run at the slightest thing. Last one I saw was new years day in Strathglass.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:07 pm

Yeah, the one I saw was alone
mountain coward

Postby HILLFITTER » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 pm

I think you get them most places in scotland here in Forth valley ,you get them coming down from s/muir to the uni in the morn, at the back of the Ochils at Blackford ,Woodhill on the ochils,going from Alva to Alloa rd, Black Devon beside Lord Mars former estate there are about 1/2 dozen .What gets me is their ability to hear the slightest wee noise.Magic to watch.
HILLFITTER

Postby Myth » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:53 am

Paul Webster wrote:I disturbed a couple of roe deer ... Are they common? :?:

Serious pests.
I planted over two hundred trees four years back. Five survived the Roe attacks and even they are heavily scarred.
If there is woodland, then there are almost certainly Roe anywhere in mainland Scotland...

There are lots in the Reelig Glen - I often see them in the fields around my house - and sometimes Wild Goats too.
Myth

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings