walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Ptarmigan on Meall Ghaordiadh

Ptarmigan on Meall Ghaordiadh

Postby Second chance » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi fellow walkers,
While climbing Meall Ghaordaidh yesterday I came across a Ptarmigan. I was a climbing a steep slope covered in snow near the summit when this pure white bird appeared walking from left to right of me, about 15 feet away. When it got to directly in front of me it stopped and looked at me for what seemed an age, as there was enough time for me to draw my camera and take several shots (without my glasses and hoping for the best). See photo below.
This is the first time I had seen one of these birds, and it was absolutely gorgeous and in a fine condition - pure white apart from the red marking above the eye.
For the record, the bird went on its way and I recovered my composure on this tricky incline, and continued to the top and the Trig Point.
What a day !
Regards,
Second Chance
Attachments
11a. Ptarmingan crosses my path (2) (640x480).jpg
Ptarmigan crosses my path
Second chance
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   

Re: Ptarmigan on Meall Ghaordiadh

Postby rohan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 pm

They are a joy to see and you should see more. My worst moment with them was when I inadvertently walked into a brood of chicks and they took off in all directions much to the consternation of their mother . Visibility was poor and I could hear the noises of parent and offspring for sometime as they looked for each other.
rohan

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings