walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Mystery bird

Mystery bird

Postby morag1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm pretty sure this graceful bird is a Little Egret, some sort of relation to the heron which I see nearly every time I go out

Don't know what these are but there's lots of them, and they're BIG!!!

morag1

Re: Mystery bird

Postby CharlesT » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Can't see the feet, which are yellow in a Little Egret, but everything else fits. It IS a Little Egret. The fish look like Grey Mullet to me, but I'm not much good at fish.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Think your right about the bird as for the last pic those are definitely fish !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby morag1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks Charles, its a lovely bird :D Would never have thought about grey mullet but then I don't know anything about fish, just that they were big!!!

HI Spider, thanks for the positive ID of both the bird and the fish :lol: To be honest when I saw the size of them I was scared to put my feet in the water in case they bit me :shock:
morag1

Postby JTweedie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Where did you see the egret? They don't breed in Scotland, but we do get occasional visitors. Vane Farm (now Loch Leven) RSPB reserve had one coming back annually for a few years.
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby morag1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:46 pm

JTweedie wrote: They don't breed in Scotland, but we do get occasional visitors

Well spotted JT, I saw it when I was in Mallorca on holiday. There was a small nature reserve near to where we stayed and I used to go across to feed the fish and ducks every night. One day I saw the Egret standing there, it was a lovely bird, very graceful.

I also saw a large black bird which I thought might have been some sort of Osprey or Vulture and it didnt half give me a thrill to see it. Sadly it flew off very suddenly before I got a photo.

Much of the northern part of the island is a large nature reserve and its a real joy to explore :D
morag1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings