walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Starlings Murmuration at Gretna

Starlings Murmuration at Gretna

Postby walk aboot » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:18 pm

I was staying in Gretna this weekend, hoping to catch sight of the starlings Murmuration, but l wasn't sure where was the best place to see them (web search gave a choice of between the entrance to the outlet shopping centre and the police station, a few minutes' walk away, or Rigg, a village a couple of miles away).

Anyway, l stood at the entrance to the shopping centre and l did see loads and loads of waves of starlings flying South West. I walked in that direction until it got dark but l didn't see a full blown Murmuration. I'm guessing by the direction they were flying that Rigg might have been a better bet after all.

Does anyone know where is the best place to see the starlings Murmuration at Gretna this year?

Also, has anyone else seen it? Any vids or photos? :)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Re: Starlings Murmuration at Gretna

Postby walk aboot » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:56 pm

I caught a small murmuration near Dumfries at the weekend :)

walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Re: Starlings Murmuration at Gretna

Postby StevieC » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:45 pm

It's funny (and quite sad I suppose) how starling murmurations have become a "thing" and considered a rare spectacle. Back in the eighties you would see this sort of thing every evening during the winter in Glasgow, around Central Station and George Square. Presumably covering all the roosting places on buildings, bridges etc with netting is at least partly to blame for its decline these days.
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings