walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Tree Bumblebee

Tree Bumblebee

Postby CharlesT » Sat May 27, 2017 10:01 am

Tree Bumblebee or New Garden Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum). A relatively recent arrival in this country from the Continent (c. 2001). Not great photos but they're tricky little blighters to catch - don't remain still for long and they forage high up. Nesting in the eaves of my garage right by the path to my parking area. Good job they're gentle souls as I pass by within three feet at head height! :lol:
bh1.jpg

bh2.jpg

bh3.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Tree Bumblebee

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 29, 2017 9:57 am

I'm sure it was one of those that I released after it had become trapped in the building. I thought it looked a bit unusual.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Tree Bumblebee

Postby CharlesT » Mon May 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:I'm sure it was one of those that I released after it had become trapped in the building. I thought it looked a bit unusual.

They're very distinctive so if you saw an average size black bee with orange shoulders and a white bum it was most likely Bombus hypnorum. They have spread widely and reportedly reached Iceland now.

Could I use this forum to issue a plea for people who find any bumblebee nest in their garden or premises not to destroy it. They are non-aggressive unless severely provoked and do a great job of pollination and capturing garden grubs to feed their young. They're also lovely creatures in their own right and I'm very fond of them.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings