walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Not wild, but evil...

Not wild, but evil...

Postby tweedledog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:34 pm

I know they're not strictly wildlife, but can anyone identify the breed of these satanic looking beasties encountered in the Argyll snow?

beasts.jpg
tweedledog
Wanderer

Re: Not wild, but evil...

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:49 pm

I think they are Hebridean sheep. There are some kept for some purpose or other in the dunes at St. Andrews "to help with the environmental management"

http://www.hebrideansheep.org.uk/hebridean-sheep/breed-description

Don't assume the white ones are all as pure as driven snow. One came up behind me in the Lakes and snatched my sandwich from over my shoulder while I was sitting having my lunch. Here in Scotland, they mostly run away, which is OK.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby tweedledog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Sgurr wrote:I think they are Hebridean sheep. There are some kept for some purpose or other in the dunes at St. Andrews "to help with the environmental management"

http://www.hebrideansheep.org.uk/hebridean-sheep/breed-description

Don't assume the white ones are all as pure as driven snow. One came up behind me in the Lakes and snatched my sandwich from over my shoulder while I was sitting having my lunch. Here in Scotland, they mostly run away, which is OK.

Thanks Sgurr. They certainly match the images on the website, though the description there as "relatively small" did raise the question relative to what? Coos? Though my picture offers no scale, they're certainly no smaller than the hill sheep that surround where I live.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:16 pm

I agree, Hebridean Sheep. Sometimes they have four horns, or even three, which gives them a very weird look indeed.

sheep monster.JPG
Beware the Frankensheep !
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings