walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Garden Buzzard

Garden Buzzard

Postby tweedledog » Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 pm

This formidable creature showed up in my North Argyll garden as a juvenile late last year and now appears to treat the place as the centre of her/his territory, much to The Whippet's disgust.

buzz1.jpg

buzz2.jpg
tweedledog
Wanderer

Re: Garden Buzzard

Postby CharlesT » Wed May 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Nice photos, quite a garden tick. Don't the blackbirds chase it off? Assuming you have them that is. Mine certainly chase off any corvids that turn up.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby tweedledog » Wed May 23, 2018 4:14 pm

CharlesT wrote:Nice photos, quite a garden tick. Don't the blackbirds chase it off? Assuming you have them that is. Mine certainly chase off any corvids that turn up.

They certainly get noisy when she's around (I've arbitrarily giver her a gender) but I've not yet seen them try to mob her - and there are plenty of them. I don't know if the size of the garden makes a difference; there's a couple of acres, much of it wooded. But she seems very untroubled by blackbirds or anything else. This morning as me and the dog walked down the drive she glided over our heads about 3 metres above us and perched in a tree in the midst of the wooded area, The dog directed a desultory woof at her as she went over. Much noise from blackbirds, but she just sat there. I've seen her with another buzzard in the trees on a couple of occasions, but no sign of nesting sites.

The blackbirds do indeed have more success harrying the hoodies.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby MrsOrr » Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Just wanted to say "WOW".
I'm so jealous. I don't even have a garden let alone one with a wonderful Buzzard in it! Lucky you!
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

Postby tweedledog » Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am

MrsOrr wrote:Just wanted to say "WOW".
I'm so jealous. I don't even have a garden let alone one with a wonderful Buzzard in it! Lucky you!

You're dead right - I am lucky. I retired here so as to be surrounded by mountains and nature, but a regular buzzard visitor is a bit of a bonus. Though have I mentioned the red squirrels... :)
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby thatweebirdie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:47 am

Beautiful.
thatweebirdie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings