walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Possible adder sighting near Ben Avon

Possible adder sighting near Ben Avon

Postby joreidy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 am

C4F04A86-DE2E-4A74-83EB-E837DD0B4D40.png

Hi everyone,

I came across this fella (pictured) on the path towards Ben Avon (approx 1km before the fairy glen). Coming from Ireland, we don’t have any snakes (St. Patrick drive them out of course!!!!) so I was quite surprised to find him chilling in the middle of the path and he wasn’t too bothered with me staring at him. Can anyone confirm if he is an adder and are they usually this docile?
Cheers,
John
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:44
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:8

Re: Possible adder sighting near Ben Avon

Postby jmarkb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 am

Nice pic! Definitely an adder - the zigzag pattern on the back is a sure sign. They are not normally aggressive if you don’t threaten them.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Essan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 am

And relatively common around the Cairngorms :)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby joreidy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks for the info lads!
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Postby CharlesT » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:30 pm

That "fella" is a lady methinks. Males are grey females are brown and generally bigger.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 am

Ooh yeh, nice adder. You can eat them if you cut off the head and a few inches of neck. The venom glands are behind the head. The skins make a decorative hatband or get two and hang them either side of your shamanic fur hat with horns, decorate the ends with tassels of feathers and beads.
I've found adders of all sorts of colours, from black to ash-white to charcoal grey, brown, pale sand-coloured and even vivid red. That one looks quite languid snoozing in the bath but if you find one doing a side-winder kind of movement but not actually going anywhere, it is probably guarding a nest with eggs or young and will be aggressive. best keep well clear of it. The bite can cause renal failure, rheumatic heart disease, cardiac arrhythmias and nerve damage resulting in Parkinson's Disease type symptoms. Lots of people will claim that they are harmless, they are not. You might not die, but there is a whole world of unpleasantness between being alive and well, and being dead.
*p.s. I liked J.P. Donleavey's idea of livening up the people of Ireland by releasing loads of deadly venomous reptiles into the Irish countryside... :D

Glen Lui Adder August 08 006c.JPG
Aggressive Adder, Glen Derry, Cairngorms
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby joreidy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Some very interesting information there! I’ll know what to look out for in future so and make a run for it if they are coiled up. Thanks!
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 pm

I saw a black adder at White Bridge, Cairngorms a fortnight ago too. A first black one for me.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby Owen b » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Got a fright coming off Cnoc an Ime (Jura). At about altitude 150m, on a deer path through knee deep long grass, my walking pole narrowly missed two adders. I've never seen one before. One slunk off into the grass quick as a flash. The other retreated maybe 50cm then stopped. I backed off slowly, but as I was adjusting the zoom on my phone camera it started hissing. So I retreated pronto :shock: .
Owen b
Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:222
Fionas:168   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:204   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:9

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:23 am

They're buggers for that. I spotted this one then just as it slinked off into the long grass, I dropped the iPhone - into the long grass...

Spot the snake#2.jpg
Spot the snake...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Owen b » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Unbelievable. Never having seen an adder in my life until Wednesday (when I saw two on Jura, post above), I saw another one today. This one was coming off Beinn Bheigier (Islay) north west towards Cattadale, about 220m asl. Again, my walking pole nearly impaled it before I saw it, happily I was able to quick step out of the way. This one was coiled up and dozing on a deer path, it didn't flinch. After my experience on Wednesday with a hissing adder I wasn't taking any chances so I didn't stop for a photo. It was mid brown with the unmistakable darker zig-zag pattern down its back. I'm going to be having nightmares about the damn things....
Owen b
Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:222
Fionas:168   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:204   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:9

Postby CharlesT » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:55 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:They're buggers for that. I spotted this one then just as it slinked off into the long grass, I dropped the iPhone - into the long grass...

Spot the snake#2.jpg

"anguis in herba" indeed. :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings