walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

UFO's

UFO's

Postby haringit » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 pm

I'm quite familiar with clegs and midges but can anyone identify these two mean machines? This first one was seen on my route back from An Socach in the Parph.
horsefly, june july 2018 051 (640x480) (2).jpg
It had been on the rock in front of me and was attempting to feed, literally trying to get blood out of stone.

horsefly, june july 2018 051 (640x480) (2).jpg
It had been on the rock in front of me and was attempting to feed, literally trying to get blood out of stone.

The second was seen resting on a car in Strathconon. I thought it was a hornet at first, then a giant hoverfly. But looking closer at the mouth parts decided it was probably after blood.
horsefly, june july 2018 050 (640x480).jpg
It was about an inch long and was not phased by the close up shot.

Attachments
horsefly, june july 2018 070 (640x480).jpg
haringit
Mountain Walker

Re: UFO's

Postby CharlesT » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 pm

That looks like onr of the horse flies(cleg). Possibly a male which would explain its not trying to feed off you. But it could be a species specific one. The eyes being far apart point to a female though. Maybe she had already acquired all the blood necessary for her egg production.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby haringit » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:41 pm

CharlesT wrote:That looks like onr of the horse flies(cleg). Possibly a male which would explain its not trying to feed off you. But it could be a species specific one. The eyes being far apart point to a female though. Maybe she had already acquired all the blood necessary for her egg production.

Horsefly makes sense Charles. Thanks.
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Oh I recognize the second one. It's Tabanus Bromius - the band-eyed brown horsefly. Very nasty fellow :? Feeds mainly on cattle and horses. We once saw a few of them sitting on our car at Corriechoille car park. There was a small herd of cows nearby so that's where they came from. I don't even want to think how painful their bite is :? :? :?

BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby haringit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Yes. That looks like it. The one in your photo looks even meaner than the one in mine. :lol:
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Oh my dad has some gruesome tales about the ones with the green eyes.. Never ever seen one myself, but after the stories I would run away and never go back to that spot again in July if I saw one.. thanks for the heads up :think:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby haringit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:21 pm

I've since found out that the green eyed ones are called deerflys. Scary looking but they were just as easy to swat as clegs. :clap:
haringit
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings