walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Mrs Kingfisher

Mrs Kingfisher

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 pm

Walking past a building at the end of a days paddling I heard a thud, so I glanced over a fence. This little lassie had flown into a window flat out. For 10 minutes she sat there, whilst I chatted to her (!), slowly becoming more aware and active, before pulling herself together and disappearing in a flash of blue.

The orange on the lower bill is the thing that defines her as female - she has her "lippy" on.

"Will you shut up"? Probably.

Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Mrs Kingfisher

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Nice wee bird! I used to live in a small cottage in woodland, with floor-to-ceiling glass patio doors. A distressingly large number of birds used to collide with the glass until I got some cut-outs of falcon silhouettes and placed them around and on the glass doors, which seemed to warn them off. It always made a terrible bang, as if a golden eagle had been travelling at warp speed, but it just turned out to be a blackbird or thrush. There was not often have a happy ending like yours... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Nice wee bird! I used to live in a small cottage in woodland, with floor-to-ceiling glass patio doors. A distressingly large number of birds used to collide with the glass until I got some cut-outs of falcon silhouettes and placed them around and on the glass doors, which seemed to warn them off. It always made a terrible bang, as if a golden eagle had been travelling at warp speed, but it just turned out to be a blackbird or thrush. There was not often have a happy ending like yours... :shock:

I suspect the angles between buildings and canal meant that she was possible taking a "short cut" through the corner of the building, not understanding glass, so hit it at an angle rather than full on. She was pretty out of it at first, but slowly became more animated. I'm sure my encouragement helped :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby CharlesT » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:47 pm

She's definitely got the "what happened there then?" look about her. All that high speed diving into water probably needs a pretty hard head.

And told her mate all about it when she got home. :lol:
kingfisher-male-female-600w-603664007.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby crfishwick » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:20 am

Mal Grey wrote:Walking past a building at the end of a days paddling I heard a thud, so I glanced over a fence. This little lassie had flown into a window flat out. For 10 minutes she sat there, whilst I chatted to her (!), slowly becoming more aware and active, before pulling herself together and disappearing in a flash of blue.

The orange on the lower bill is the thing that defines her as female - she has her "lippy" on.

"Will you shut up"? Probably.

Brilliant! Thankfully survived. Tried getting a photo of a KF for years unfortunately too fast for me. :D
crfishwick

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings