walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

What is this raptor? with added comments

What is this raptor? with added comments

Postby tompip » Fri May 08, 2020 12:43 am

I saw this pair of raptors in a surprising place; I will not reveal the place as it was not where I would have expected to see them. I would like your help to identify these.
Just to let you know, the other bird is in the background, it is the same bird as the main one, just taken and flying differently. When I first saw these 2 together, it was very clear that they were both of a significant wing span and both the same species. There was no sign of mobbing from one to the other, they were flying in sync and calling to each other. So the other bird is not a buzzard as suggested.
Attachments
IMG_7082.JPG
Last edited by tompip on Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tompip

Re: What is this raptor?

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am

Eagleses. Possibly sea-eagle but not I'm sure. Or even one eagle being harrassed by a buzzard. Or an eagle and buzzard being gay for each other. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 08, 2020 11:33 am

My instinct is that the wings are not deep enough for a white-tailed eagle, and from above the white tail is normally fairly clear (unless its a juvenile). I suspect golden eagle as they also have a slightly longer tail which matches.

The other one could be anything from another eagle to an overfed sparrow, but probably the former! But buzzard mobbing it is a decent call, assuming it was notably smaller.

As for location, white tailed have been spreading and have been seen in England, golden eagles are thought to be only in Scotland now. If it was south of the border, I'd report it to the RSPB, British Ornithological Soc, relevant Wildlife Trust or similar as they would be interest and monitoring spread.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby StevieC » Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm

Mal Grey wrote:My instinct is that the wings are not deep enough for a white-tailed eagle, and from above the white tail is normally fairly clear (unless its a juvenile). I suspect golden eagle as they also have a slightly longer tail which matches.

The other one could be anything from another eagle to an overfed sparrow, but probably the former! But buzzard mobbing it is a decent call, assuming it was notably smaller.

As for location, white tailed have been spreading and have been seen in England, golden eagles are thought to be only in Scotland now. If it was south of the border, I'd report it to the RSPB, British Ornithological Soc, relevant Wildlife Trust or similar as they would be interest and monitoring spread.

Countryfile at the weekend had film of a white-tailed eagle hopping about a field in Kent! It wasn't one of the ones that have been introduced at the Isle of Wight, so it could have come from anywhere...
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 08, 2020 1:06 pm

StevieC wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:My instinct is that the wings are not deep enough for a white-tailed eagle, and from above the white tail is normally fairly clear (unless its a juvenile). I suspect golden eagle as they also have a slightly longer tail which matches.

Countryfile at the weekend had film of a white-tailed eagle hopping about a field in Kent! It wasn't one of the ones that have been introduced at the Isle of Wight, so it could have come from anywhere...

There's at least one that came over suburban Surrey a few weeks ago, and it wasn't from the I o W release either! So they are moving in naturally too. Sadly, wasn't my bit of Surrey...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby KatTai » Fri May 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Not a white-tailed eagle the wings aren't broad enough and they have a distinct, short, wedge-shaped tail. For some reason photos of raptors from above seem to be a bit scarce and I think you might be better posting on a bird forum for a more accurate ID. Counting six fingers on the wings which points to a golden eagle but there is a white band at the end of the tail which I can't see in other photos of goldens, but can in some of buzzards so I'm not 100% on the ID.

Golden eagles have recently been reintroduced to the Scottish Lowlands and are known to live around sea-cliffs if it is the habitat that you are questioning.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: What is this raptor? with added comments

Postby Tringa » Mon May 11, 2020 1:53 pm

Golden eagle.

As said the shape of the wings and the tail is wrong for a white tailed eagle. WTE's have wings that are almost rectangular and deep from back to front. The tail, while it is white only in full adults is noticeably wedge shaped, rather than the shape in the shot here.

This - https://www.bto.org/develop-your-skills/bird-identification/videos/identifying-eagles - is quite a good video from the BTO on identifying eagles and a comparison with a buzzard.

About 2 minutes into this video is a good view of a golden eagle which corresponds well with the photo here.

Dave
Tringa

Re: What is this raptor? with added comments

Postby tompip » Mon May 11, 2020 10:38 pm

Hello Dave thanks for the reference. it confirms for me that these are a pair of young eagles
tompip

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings