walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Where was this painted?

Where was this painted?

Postby CharlesT » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:37 pm

Calling you experts in Scottish landscape identification. I have had this small oil on board in my collection for years, can you place it? Signed "R Simm" but I don't think it's Richard Simm. Of course it may just be a generic scene.
20220726_152532.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Where was this painted?

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:41 pm

Good to see this - a beautiful painting. Such landscapes are not perhaps as fashionable these days, but I love them.

I don’t know where it is, but to me it has a Cairngorms-ish look. The warm pinky rocks suggest granite, as do the rounded outlines and the hint of some summit rocks on one of the tops.

Thanks for sharing!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby CharlesT » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:15 am

Thanks Tim, it's a tiny thing as landscapes go,10"x8" and probably painted from a life sketch. It wouldn't be easy to imagine that landscape and get the proportions and perspectives right. No doubt the coos were put in to liven up the foreground. I have a number of landscapes along similar mountains themes, most of which I can identify. Maybe I should start a "Paintings and Sketches of Mountain Landscapes" thread, though it might struggle for contributors.

I have a Lakeland sketch in a sort of monochrome ink and pastel wash of what I think is Hartsop above Howe, purportedly from a Turner sketchbook (he did hundreds). Could put that up and see if anyone can correct my id.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:49 am

CharlesT wrote:Thanks Tim, it's a tiny thing as landscapes go,10"x8" and probably painted from a life sketch. It wouldn't be easy to imagine that landscape and get the proportions and perspectives right. No doubt the coos were put in to liven up the foreground. I have a number of landscapes along similar mountains themes, most of which I can identify. Maybe I should start a "Paintings and Sketches of Mountain Landscapes" thread, though it might struggle for contributors.

I have a Lakeland sketch in a sort of monochrome ink and pastel wash of what I think is Hartsop above Howe, purportedly from a Turner sketchbook (he did hundreds). Could put that up and see if anyone can correct my id.

Would be a nice thread to see!

PS I keep wondering if it is Loch Muick, from its NW shore. The hazy skyline on the far left might then be Broad Cairn or Creag an Dubh Loch, and the trees near the far end of the loch would be those at Glas Allt Shiel.

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby MRG1 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:06 pm

CharlesT wrote:Calling you experts in Scottish landscape identification. I have had this small oil on board in my collection for years, can you place it? Signed "R Simm" but I don't think it's Richard Simm. Of course it may just be a generic scene.
20220726_152532.jpg

My mum had a painting that just gives the same "vibes."
It was an artist local to the Lake District that for the life of me I can't recall the name of.
I'll have a think on it.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:24   

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:12 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
CharlesT wrote:Thanks Tim, it's a tiny thing as landscapes go,10"x8" and probably painted from a life sketch. It wouldn't be easy to imagine that landscape and get the proportions and perspectives right. No doubt the coos were put in to liven up the foreground. I have a number of landscapes along similar mountains themes, most of which I can identify. Maybe I should start a "Paintings and Sketches of Mountain Landscapes" thread, though it might struggle for contributors.

Would be a nice thread to see!

PS I keep wondering if it is Loch Muick, from its NW shore. The hazy skyline on the far left might then be Broad Cairn or Creag an Dubh Loch, and the trees near the far end of the loch would be those at Glas Allt Shiel.

tim

That's funny because I thought Loch Muick too!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby malky_c » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:50 pm

How about Gleann an Obain Bhig at the head of Loch Morar?

malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:53 pm

CharlesT wrote:Signed "R Simm" but I don't think it's Richard Simm.

I'm curious to know why you don't think it is by Richard Simm: the signature (to my untrained eye) looks like a good match and he seems to have painted similar subjects quite a lot:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/paintings-richard-simm-802-c-a8c4cc1b00
https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/richard-simm-highland-cattle-oil-on-board-27-x-19-127-c-3c3efa1353
https://www.tooveys.com/lots/322895/richard-simm-highland-cattle-in-landscapes
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby CharlesT » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:56 pm

jmarkb wrote:
CharlesT wrote:Signed "R Simm" but I don't think it's Richard Simm.

I'm curious to know why you don't think it is by Richard Simm: the signature (to my untrained eye) looks like a good match and he seems to have painted similar subjects quite a lot:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/paintings-richard-simm-802-c-a8c4cc1b00
https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/richard-simm-highland-cattle-oil-on-board-27-x-19-127-c-3c3efa1353
https://www.tooveys.com/lots/322895/richard-simm-highland-cattle-in-landscapes

I stand corrected. I thought wrongly that Richard Simm signed himself Richard Simm not R Simm. The style and colours of the pictures you found point to mine indeed being by Richard Simm.

All you need to do now is tell us where it is.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes